Honored Contributor

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

It's unfortunate there are so many that are not mentally equipped to be a mom(or dad) are able to do so. I didn't read this thread, the title tells me all I want to know. Whatever reason(EXCUSE) given will not register with me.

Many much worse things I could say, but!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@happycat I do think she was distracted. She had friends with her, they were probably chatting and who knows what else. Maybe they had some drinks during their shopping excursion? I don't know. I just know that anytime I hear these awful stories, I say a little prayer of thanks that it's not me or mine. There, but for the grace of God go I, and all that.

This is true, and I think you have more grace, and that's not said being facetious, grace is a good thing.  

I was thinking, my kids are 31 and 27. Been a long time since I was full time responsible for babies. And look at all the changes in that time. Not just smart phones, when mine were real little, we didn't even have a computer. So many changes and things to be distracted by. I still don't understand it, but do admit the world is a lot different than when I raised mine.

Respected Contributor

I cant believe 4 women forgot the kid!!  FOUR.  How self centered, dangerous and disturbing can you get.  This is just beyond explanation.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Sounds like a horrible mistake. Doesn't sound like the woman intended to harm her child. We ALL have momentary lapses of judgement. I just thank goodness mine never resulted in any harm to children. I am hyper aware that these mistakes/accidents can happen to anyone, so I'm always making mental and written lists when my grandson is under my care.

@bathina

How do you remove purchases from the cart, load them into your car and not notice that your child is still sitting in the cart?

Her friends that were with her were in different cars, so why would she think that one of them had put HER child in the car seat in HER car?

By the grace of a higher power, the 'wrong' person didn't find that child, before the good Samaritan did.

This could've had a much more tragic ending.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Am I reading this right? She had three friends with her, who let her drive off, leaving the baby in the cart in the parking lot?

If this is what happened, she and her friends need drug tests. If they pass those, I don't know what she needs, but she sure doesn't need a baby, imho.

@happycat

Maybe too many margaritas at the Mexican restaurant in the mall.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@happycat I do think she was distracted. She had friends with her, they were probably chatting and who knows what else. Maybe they had some drinks during their shopping excursion? I don't know. I just know that anytime I hear these awful stories, I say a little prayer of thanks that it's not me or mine. There, but for the grace of God go I, and all that.

This is true, and I think you have more grace, and that's not said being facetious, grace is a good thing.  

I was thinking, my kids are 31 and 27. Been a long time since I was full time responsible for babies. And look at all the changes in that time. Not just smart phones, when mine were real little, we didn't even have a computer. So many changes and things to be distracted by. I still don't understand it, but do admit the world is a lot different than when I raised mine.

You are too nice! I'm in the same situation as you-I have a 38 year old daughter. I would not want to be raising children today. When I think about getting on my bike and riding all over town at 10 years old, meeting up with other kids and going home when the street lights came on, I cringe. You would be arrested today for letting your kid do that (or at least shamed by other parents).

The agony of doing something stupid that hurts your kids, plus the shame and judgement heaped on you through social media could drive a person to insanity. No thanks.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Sounds like a horrible mistake. Doesn't sound like the woman intended to harm her child. We ALL have momentary lapses of judgement. I just thank goodness mine never resulted in any harm to children. I am hyper aware that these mistakes/accidents can happen to anyone, so I'm always making mental and written lists when my grandson is under my care.

@bathina

How do you remove purchases from the cart, load them into your car and not notice that your child is still sitting in the cart?

Her friends that were with her were in different cars, so why would she think that one of them had put HER child in the car seat in HER car?

By the grace of a higher power, the 'wrong' person didn't find that child, before the good Samaritan did.

Do you think she did this on purpose?

Respected Contributor

I read the article. The mother said she and three friends left Target in separate cars. She said she thought her baby had been put in her car by one of them. I guess she left him in the shopping cart and didn't bother to see who did what. She didn't check to see if he was in the carseat before she drove off and didn't look for over an hour. She drove back and learned someone saw the baby (who is less than a year and a half old) in a shopping cart outside Target and called the police when no one could find the mother or other caregiver. .  I don't think she intentionaly abandoned him. However, I do think she was very careless with behavior bordering on neglect. At the minimum a responsible mother would have checked to see if the baby was in the car and properly secured in the carseat before driving off. Most mothers would also probably check before taking off to see if her toddler needed a diaper change or needed a bottle or snack knowing they would be in the car for an hour. She would have immediately seen he wasn't in the car if she had checked on him in the parking lot.

Honored Contributor

My niece's friend forgot her kid and left him at a friend's party.Drinking was definitely involved there. The friend who found the child at her house called the mother and suggested she leave him with her for the night. The mother still did not realize she didn't have him, and she was at home.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@bathina

Do you think she did this on purpose?

You don't need intent to show negligence.  She is at the very least a negligent parent and endangered her child.  Her story doesn't hold water and hopefully Protective Services will not put the child back under her "care".