Esteemed Contributor

Mogul disowns his daughter and grandkids

[ Edited ]

I couldn't not help my grandkids no matter what.

Dr. Dre (Andre Romell Young) has a 38 year old daughter he is not on good terms with.  She is telling the local news that she's homeless and living out of her car in California.  She has four children, but that they live with friends and not in the car with her.  LaTanya admitted Dr. Dre, has helped her over the years by paying her rent and giving her an allowance, but that supposedly ended in January 2020.  She cites the reason he gives is because she spoke about him in the press.

Her father (founder of Beats of by Dre) was worth more than $800MM dollars as a result of that sale to Apple years ago.  LaTanya said she hasn't spoken with her father in 18 years. 

He also has taken another financial hit with his recent divorce from long time wife Nicole Young.

I don't know what she said in the media about him, but he could think of his grandkids and help them w/o helping her.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Mogul disowns his daughter and grandkids

People use their money (or the promise of money) to control family members.  Happens all the time.  It's not right, but it happens.     

Honored Contributor

He should buy them a little house and set up a trust before cutting them off.

I don't think much of a father who lets his daughter be homeless (unless she refuses all help) just because she talked to the press. Talking to the press is not an unforgivable sin.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

It seems harsh but is his business and none of ours.  I'm sure he could cite reasons if he chose to do so. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Maybe he's tired of her expecting a hand out. I'm sure there's a way to provide for the grandkids without enabling her. I have no problem giving money if an adult child is working towards self sufficiency but she shouldn't expect him to support her the rest of her life completely.  

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

He should buy them a little house and set up a trust before cutting them off.

I don't think much of a father who lets his daughter be homeless (unless she refuses all help) just because she talked to the press. Talking to the press is not an unforgivable sin.

@Porcelain    Depends on what she said.  He may have construed it as being disloyal. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't know the family dynamics and he has reportedly supported her in the past.

Seems that this daughter was triggered by the most recent wife's court victory receiving an additional $300,000 per month on top of other payments.

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of people who don't have multi-million dollar parents to lean on.  She says she hasn't spoken to him in 18 years.  Sounds like he even helped her out some during the time she wasn't speaking to him.  Why should she expect anything from him?  

I don't know much about him and nothing about her, but it doesn't sound like she's doing anything but living off the good will of others  There are plenty of job openings now, even for those who have never worked.

Honored Contributor

There is an unwritten rule in a lot of families that family helps family. Indigent relatives are kept off the streets and family does not air their dirty laundry for public consumption. Surprising that Dr. Dre does not realize that this will all be on trial in the court of public opinion...

Honored Contributor

Some parents try to control their family with money.  They use their like a club.  Of course, we don't know the back story.  I doubt that he cut her off because she said something about him to the media.  I do believe with such wealth. he could 

and should set up a trust fund for her and his grand children so that they have a home and can be together.  A lawyer could manage the trust fund, he would not have to have a relationship with them.