Honored Contributor

Re: Moderna’s vaccine has preliminary success, first in humans.

@noodleann wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Hope this proves to be the vaccine that stops further proliferation of COVID.

The volunteers getting the weakest dose had antibodies at the same levels as persons that had recovered from the virus!

Has it been proven yet that having those antibodies confers protection? I thought that was a big unknown. One of many.

It must be exciting to be in medical R&D these days.

@noodleann This trial was primarily focused on safety. The results don't yet show whether people are prevented from infection.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@deepwaterdotterMe, too, but it's way too preliminary for me personally to decide the outer world is safe right now.   I don't have some magic number in my head, but 8 people out of 45 volunteers is only a sliver over 10% success,  

I know a sliver is enough to win a horse race -  hoping this sliver points to a health win as further experimentation goes on.

@millieshops @deepwaterdotter 

Moderna released antibody data for only eight participants, so far; four in th 25 mg group and four in the 100 mg group. It does not mean that these were the only results seen. I just means that these were the only released results. In the 25mg the four developed neutralizing antibodies at levels comparable to recovered COVID-19 patients. In the 100 mg group the antibodies "'significantly exceeded recovered patients." Moderna will be starting Phase 11. The purpose of the Phase 1 trial was to establish safety. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The volunteers getting the weakest dose had antibodies at the same levels as persons that had recovered from the virus!

Has it been proven yet that having those antibodies confers protection? I thought that was a big unknown. One of many.

@noodleann What has been seen from the results of the trial is that the vaccine resulted in conferring the same level of immunity that  person that have recovered from COVOD-19 have had.

The same level of antibodies? Is it yet established that any level of antibodies confers immunity, thereby protecting from recurrence? I know it's assumed and hoped so, but is it yet documented?

I wonder if they're going to do a real challenge trial later on. I wonder whether they can prove it's protective without doing a challenge. I know they'd get volunteers, but yikes!

Thanks for reporting on this.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

This news is certainly helping the markets today. Hope it continues and helps the economy come back. 

The news isnt helping markets. The Fed injecting cash is helping markets.

All sectors, commodities, oil, bonds all up? Fed buying spree after 3 down days.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like progress!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We can only hope that this one or another one will prove to effective and safe. But I agree that of course we need to find out just what immunity means for those who have the antibodies or get them from a vaccine.

I'm going to assume that there will be no cutting corners to reach some magical date. A vaccine should go through all the phases until it as safe as any we have for other diseases.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And just as their stock jumped 20% on the news of clinical trials,  Moderma announced an after hours $1.25 B stock offering!

Of course all to cover the costs of research and I'm sure no board members will get a handsome payday.

Esteemed Contributor

In some people’s eyes pharma companies are bad no matter what. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@noodleann What has been seen from the results of the trial is that the vaccine resulted in conferring the same level of immunity that  person that have recovered from COVOD-19 have had.

The same level of antibodies? Is it yet established that any level of antibodies confers immunity, thereby protecting from recurrence? I know it's assumed and hoped so, but is it yet documented?

I wonder if they're going to do a real challenge trial later on. I wonder whether they can prove it's protective without doing a challenge. I know they'd get volunteers, but yikes!

Thanks for reporting on this.

@noodleann @Just a brief overview of the types and mechanisms of acquired immunity and the research that supports some of these can be found here. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8143/