Honored Contributor

Re: Moderna is working on a booster for S. African variant

I've already made peace with it in my mind. I think we are in this pandemic for longer than I want it to be and I don't expect things to be 'normal' again for a long, long time. One day at a time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To read the entire press release directly from Moderna put this title into your search box. There's  more information in the release about the current vaccine's efficacy against the variant strains: 

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Retains Neutralizing Activity Against Emerging Variants First Identified in the U.K. and the Republic of South Africa

January 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM EST
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Great! So now we'll have to get 3 covid vaccinations?  This is becoming a full-time job.  Easier to become an anti-social hermit.

@Kachina624  True and exasperating. Yet another reason. perhaps, to wait a bit until the dust settles and see if 'science' can come up with a one stop shot... I want whatever I can get but would prefer not to become a pin cushion... I'd also like to be able to go locally to get whatever shot or shots I'll have to get rather than schedule through the health department and most likely have to jump through a number of hoops.

@stevieb Exactly what we are thinking.  We are very leery of waiting in line with a lot of people for hours, and also how effective and safe this shot is.  We are waiting for things to shake out some as well.  

Even if I raced out and got the shot I wouldn't feel a lot safer at this point.

Respected Contributor

I’m hoping someday the Covid vaccine could be rolled in with our yearly flu shots. Don’t know if that’s possible though.

My husband and I got the Pfizer vaccine this morning at a drive through held by our county health department. It was so well organized. Held at a local university pavilion. Our appointment was at 8:30 am and we were on the road again by 9:15 am. We both have had no reaction to it or even soreness. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I’m with you. Thousands of people have received vaccines, but those thousands are a small percentage of those who want it, so I will keep trying, knowing that every few weeks that the odds will get better.

I will be 80 early in the fall and i had guessed I would be fortunate to be finished with the vaccine process before then. I still feel that way.  

In some ways being at my stage in life makes quarantine somewhat easier than it would have been when I was younger.  And in some ways, my stage makes it sadder because realistically I know every year I live now uses up a large percentage of the time left to me.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am sick about hearing anything on the vaccine.  Can not get it anyway. Given up

Me too!  It's all we hear about...that and Covid in general or politics.  Nothing else is happening in the world.

Respected Contributor

Well that's nice.    Now only if people who wanted the vaccines could get one.  Many of us in Western Pennsylvania  have been trying to get on the scheduling queue somewhere.  No luck.  Really a sad situation.

I'm just gonna start double masking; only leave the house for groceries and pray DH and I don't get infected.  Because I am sure one of us will die.

Respected Contributor

We're going to be wearing these stupid masks forever and getting a shot every few weeks for a new variant.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Great! So now we'll have to get 3 covid vaccinations?  This is becoming a full-time job.  Easier to become an anti-social hermit.

@Kachina624  True and exasperating. Yet another reason. perhaps, to wait a bit until the dust settles and see if 'science' can come up with a one stop shot... I want whatever I can get but would prefer not to become a pin cushion... I'd also like to be able to go locally to get whatever shot or shots I'll have to get rather than schedule through the health department and most likely have to jump through a number of hoops.

@stevieb Exactly what we are thinking.  We are very leery of waiting in line with a lot of people for hours, and also how effective and safe this shot is.  We are waiting for things to shake out some as well.  

Even if I raced out and got the shot I wouldn't feel a lot safer at this point.

In Arizona there is no waiting in line for hours with other people. You make an appointment, show up 15 minutes prior, stay in your car, hang your arm out the window, get shot, go to a holding area for 15 minutes to make sure no side effects. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

And don’t forget, once people who have had the vaccine start getting COVID again, they will gleefully let everyone know that every human on the face of the earth needs to repeat them all every 3, 6 or however many they decide is good. Definitely a full time job. And no promises any of them will keep anyone safe.

None of the vaccines allow us to become social as we used to be. All require continued social distancing, no large groups (but remember that it only takes 1 infected person to spread it; it isn’t just large groups that are a danger), etc. for a long time. How long is it currently going to take to vaccinate everyone? Ten years? 5?