Honored Contributor

Re: Moderna is working on a booster for S. African variant

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We're going to be wearing these stupid masks forever and getting a shot every few weeks for a new variant.

I can't really explain why, but I couldn't stop laughing at your post.:-) @Meowingkitty 

Maybe we will end up walking around with a vaccine drip in our arms.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We're going to be wearing these stupid masks forever and getting a shot every few weeks for a new variant.

I can't really explain why, but I couldn't stop laughing at your post.:-) @Meowingkitty 

Maybe we will end up walking around with a vaccine drip in our arms.

@suzyQ3 

The drip will be connected to the mask. Someone is gonna cash in on that!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, Moderna says they are "testing" a booster for the African variant strain.  On whom are they testing it?  On the 15,000 test subjects who already received two doses of the original "formula"?  It is not necessarily a safe practice to keep increasing the number of doses of a product without knowing just how much mRNA a single human being can tolerate.  ETA: "In a study conducted with the National Institutes of Health, Moderna used blood samples from eight vaccine recipients and some immunized monkeys in laboratory tests against the mutated viruses."  That study is in no way good enough.

The mRNA with its nanoparticle lipid coating can enter into previously healthy cells anywhere in the body, and then the immune system will attack the altered cell that is expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein on its surface.  If you keep on injecting additional doses of synthetic mRNA into people, their risk of autoimmune conditions and cancer will continually increase.  That's reckless.  And unscientific, too, as only two doses were tested to look for side effects and a lessening of COVID symptoms, and only for two months time, prior to the rollout of this novel product to adults in our population.  How many of our healthy cells are we expected to allow to be killed in order to merely reduce one or more COVID-19 symptoms, not stop infection nor transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Look out for highly emotional claims without evidence behind them. That is a key sign of a misinformation attempt.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

So, Moderna says they are "testing" a booster for the African variant strain.  On whom are they testing it?  On the 15,000 test subjects who already received two doses of the original "formula"?  It is not necessarily a safe practice to keep increasing the number of doses of a product without knowing just how much mRNA a single human being can tolerate.  ETA: "In a study conducted with the National Institutes of Health, Moderna used blood samples from eight vaccine recipients and some immunized monkeys in laboratory tests against the mutated viruses."  That study is in no way good enough.

The mRNA with its nanoparticle lipid coating can enter into previously healthy cells anywhere in the body, and then the immune system will attack the altered cell that is expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein on its surface.  If you keep on injecting additional doses of synthetic mRNA into people, their risk of autoimmune conditions and cancer will continually increase.  That's reckless.  And unscientific, too, as only two doses were tested to look for side effects and a lessening of COVID symptoms, and only for two months time, prior to the rollout of this novel product to adults in our population.  How many of our healthy cells are we expected to allow to be killed in order to merely reduce one or more COVID-19 symptoms, not stop infection nor transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus? 

@Jersey Born @Please use the title of the press report from Moderna and paste it into your search bar to read what they are doing. I posted it on this thread. You can find out who with and how this testing will take place. 

Super Contributor

GURL...  YAS... Too funny.  LOVE.  MEOW.

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Great! So now we'll have to get 3 covid vaccinations?  This is becoming a full-time job.  Easier to become an anti-social hermit.

Considering the amount of time some have had to wait in line for their vaccine, I would agree.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Great! So now we'll have to get 3 covid vaccinations?  This is becoming a full-time job.  Easier to become an anti-social hermit.

@Kachina624  True and exasperating. Yet another reason. perhaps, to wait a bit until the dust settles and see if 'science' can come up with a one stop shot... I want whatever I can get but would prefer not to become a pin cushion... I'd also like to be able to go locally to get whatever shot or shots I'll have to get rather than schedule through the health department and most likely have to jump through a number of hoops.

@stevieb Exactly what we are thinking.  We are very leery of waiting in line with a lot of people for hours, and also how effective and safe this shot is.  We are waiting for things to shake out some as well.  

Even if I raced out and got the shot I wouldn't feel a lot safer at this point.

In Arizona there is no waiting in line for hours with other people. You make an appointment, show up 15 minutes prior, stay in your car, hang your arm out the window, get shot, go to a holding area for 15 minutes to make sure no side effects. 

@Meowingkitty , you are very lucky. That is not the way it is here and I don't live in a major metropolitan area. 

Yes it's a drive through but the wait time is hour long.  There aren't appointments.  They begin giving shots at a certain time and they tell you not to show up early but of course people do.  Then when you pull into the bay, there is a lot of people having to get out of the car to get coats off, etc. to receive the shot so it takes quite awhile just for all of that.  I know someone who took his mother over the weekend and it was a 4 hour process.   

Honored Contributor

I sure don't see much progress being made. And I sure don't believe much of what I read or hear. I will mask, social distance, and stay home as much as possible and hope for the best. I see no other alternative. 

Honored Contributor

We can't even get the initial vaccine in peoples' arms and now we have to worry about a booster shot not even a year in?