Honored Contributor

Modern Technology: Does It Really Make Our Lives Better??

This is a complicated question.... All of this modern technology certainly has its advantages. In many ways it has made our lives better. But we've come to depend on it so much, that it's also made our lives more complicated and stressful, IMO.

Getting a new TV to work with your cable system, learning all of the features of a new smartphone, getting Bluetooth to work in your car, needing to call "tech support," remembering dozens of passwords.... And modern technology has led to internet and telephone scams, computer hackers and viruses, identity thieves, cyber bullying, and on and on.

I sometimes long for the days when things were simpler. And l'm not a grumpy old lady. I AM a lady.... but I'm neither old nor grumpy! Woman LOL

How do you feel about this?

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Modern Technology: Does It Really Make Our Lives Better??

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

This is a complicated question.... All of this modern technology certainly has its advantages. In many ways it has made our lives better. But we've come to depend on it so much, that it's also made our lives more complicated and stressful, IMO.

Getting a new TV to work with your cable system, learning all of the features of a new smartphone, getting Bluetooth to work in your car, needing to call "tech support," remembering dozens of passwords.... And modern technology has led to internet and telephone scams, computer hackers and viruses, identity thieves, cyber bullying, and on and on.

I sometimes long for the days when things were simpler. And l'm not a grumpy old lady. I AM a lady.... but I'm neither old nor grumpy! Woman LOL

How do you feel about this?

@handygal2    I feel the same as you do.   That is why I am still driving my 2000 chevy van.  I can afford a newer car... but like my simple turn key... uncomplicated technology in my van, so, I will probably keep it as long as it keeps running.   My husband likes technogy and embraces it where I stay behind.  Just the way I am. 

my phone is just a simple flip phone.. my last one I had for 15 years until it died. . I have never even sent one text in my life. My husband says I need it for emergencies.... If I had my say, I would not even have a phone. 

Honored Contributor

@handygal2....think I agree with you on this.  Am finding the older I get, things seem do get harder and harder.  Wonder what it will be like in 20 years.  That is something I don't have to worry about though.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden: I agree. I hang onto my old car with simple technology. And l also still have my "dumb" phone, lol. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I LOVE the time I’m living in!

New Technology has opened so many doors for me.

I can’t imagine not having it there.

It’s amazing how much knowledge is at the tips of our fingers.

For me, it’s not complicated or stressful when seeing the 

Glass Half Full. 

What a Beautiful Day!

What a Beautiful Time to be Alive!

Esteemed Contributor

It absolutely does make our lives better.  When was the last time you had to remember to turn the thermostat down when you went to bed or left for the day?  Never again will we have to get our car keys out to open the door.  How easy to book a car repair or doctor visit on line.  I would be lost without the calendar on the phone. Just plug in the car for a smog check and be on your way.

So many other ways.....

Honored Contributor

I'm a gadgit gal & I love technology.  FWIW, I have been playing on computers "on the job" since the 70's.  Purchased my first home comp 1999-Strawberry iMac (Lifesavers).

Never owned a cell phone.  Have no need for one.  Landline is all I need.

Regarding modern technology, I just go w/the flow.  Does not bother me not one bit, one way or the other.

As for longing for days when days were simplier, when was that?  Horse & buggy days?????  I for one do not want to go backwards at this stage in my life (68 yrs).  I plan on being on this earth another 50 yrs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I am the opposite. I love technology. I like my two newer safer cars with Bluetooth and toys. I love being able to access information while I’m out and about on my smartphone. I like not having to hunt for what I want choosing instead to find the size and color I want in the comfort of my home. 

Honored Contributor

I have a love- hate relationship with tech. When everything works, it can be a joy, but other times, I want to throw some devices into a snow bank. I remember when I got my first tv remote I thought, boy it can't get better than this. Now remotes are like mission control. Sigh.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

It absolutely does make our lives better.  When was the last time you had to remember to turn the thermostat down when you went to bed or left for the day?  Never again will we have to get our car keys out to open the door.  How easy to book a car repair or doctor visit on line.  I would be lost without the calendar on the phone. Just plug in the car for a smog check and be on your way.

So many other ways.....

@Still Raining  I do all of those things just fine without technology... If the internet ever goes down  or cell towers... what will happen to those who depend on their phones for everything?