Honored Contributor

Re: Modern Technology: Does It Really Make Our Lives Better??

I warmed up my car from the app on my phone.  It's freezing here, and I didn't have to get into a cold car.

Yes, I love technology.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 Have you tried the boy band voice on Waze? I couldn’t have it on all the time but it is sooo funny.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Studies have shown that electronic gadgets interfere with sleep.  Also health implications won't be known for years whether or not EMF radiation will cause cancer and not just from cell phones.  

Google:

Electromagnetic radiation and health

Sleeplessness from eletronic devices

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I love technology. 

I love having a world of knowledge at my fingertips any time, night or day.

I love that my phone does so many things.

I love not buying stamps because I pay all my bills on line. Instant credit for the payment!

I love using On Demand to watch shows when I feel lime watching.

I love never getting lost because of Google maps and navigation.

I love figuring out how to work my devices. Its challenging and I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I finally figure something out without having to make a phone call.

No atrophy here!  

Completely agree @Ms tyrion2.  Everything you listed.  Have you tried Waze for navigation?  It changed my life. Smiley LOL

@Mj12,

I hadn't heard of that one. I'll check it out!

Trusted Contributor

Never thought I would say this as a recent cell phone owner but not a user.

October 8th my Mom fell broke her ribs and punctured her lung & was in the hospital 3 weeks and Rehab Acute Care hospital untile just 2weeks ago.

Texting was a  such a wonderful way for my family to keep each other updated on her care,who was visiting her when so she was rarely alone. And with her transition to Assisted Living, it is still great for us to keep tabs on her,so this old gal has embraced texting.

However our Family Pierogi Making Day is the 16th. And I plan on asking my peeps to please put their phones away for the day. I want participation especially from the young teens. Family tradition trumps phone play. 

Respected Contributor

The sad part is what it is doing to our society. As young as pre-school age children are lacking in speech development and delayed. People are not conversing with them or spending time with each other.  Parents are on their gadgets instead of parenting, kids are doing the same younger and younger. Peschoolers know how to use gadgets. We used to think too much T.V. was detrimental!

I have seen it in older children. They can not spell, even with a spell check, write in Text slang etc. I think it is sad . It gets competitive to have the latest and most expensive  tech.gadget in the market. Humans are never satisfied it seems. Spend more money.

Technology is fine  but along with making our lives easier but  it affects society and not always in a beneficial way. Those of you in Education or have been in the field know what is happening first hand.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@handygal2

Will replace "our" with "my" life. Been into electronic advancements since I was 15 years old. Yes, the ones I choose, do make my life better. Like many other things in life, it is only a tool, and it cannot be evaluated on it's own, concerning it's merits. That depends on "who" is using it, and "for what" purpose!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

The sad part is what it is doing to our society. As young as pre-school age children are lacking in speech development and delayed. People are not conversing with them or spending time with each other.  Parents are on their gadgets instead of parenting, kids are doing the same younger and younger. Peschoolers know how to use gadgets. We used to think too much T.V. was detrimental!

I have seen it in older children. They can not spell, even with a spell check, write in Text slang etc. I think it is sad . It gets competitive to have the latest and most expensive  tech.gadget in the market. Humans are never satisfied it seems. Spend more money.

Technology is fine  but along with making our lives easier but  it affects society and not always in a beneficial way. Those of you in Education or have been in the field know what is happening first hand.

@Gorgf: Very well said!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf 

@handygal

@SeaMaiden

@ShowMe

@Laura14

@denisemb

@puttypiesmom

I agree with all of you.  Yes, in many areas technology is great, particularly in the field of health.  However, I have said to my friends many times that life has become more complicated with all of the gadgets and technology thrown out at us day after day.  People don't talk to one another, they text or send e-mail.  Go to a restaurant and what do you see?   Two, maybe four or more at a table and what do you see?  They are not talking to one another, each has a phone to their ear.  Children, let's  not go there, three year olds with a phone or tablet, frightening.  I'm not saying we should be stuck in the 60's, but in many ways life was simpler.  We need technology in many areas, but in many ways, not so much. Just my opinion.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Gorgf 

@handygal2

@SeaMaiden

@ShowMe

@Laura14

@denisemb

@puttypiesmom

I agree with all of you.  Yes, in many areas technology is great, particularly in the field of health.  However, I have said to my friends many times that life has become more complicated with all of the gadgets and technology thrown out at us day after day.  People don't talk to one another, they text or send e-mail.  Go to a restaurant and what do you see?   Two, maybe four or more at a table and what do you see?  They are not talking to one another, each has a phone to their ear.  Children, let's  not go there, three year olds with a phone or tablet, frightening.  I'm not saying we should be stuck in the 60's, but in many ways life was simpler.  We need technology in many areas, but in many ways, not so much. Just my opinion.

@Lindsays Grandma: You summed up my thoughts perfectly!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~