Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mockingbirds Mimicking my Wind Chimes...

We have lots of Mockingbirds in Central Florida.  I love to hear the different sounds they can make and mimic.

One drawback...on a moonlit night they will often find a perch and "sing" all night long!  Not so pretty then!

They sing day and night! 

You should hear one when a cat gets close to their habitant!    There are some videoes on you tube.

Honored Contributor

Nature is amazing...thanks for this lovely share @ciao_bella and enjoy your treasured mockingbirds!

Honored Contributor

I actually had a mockingbird friend once. He would come every day and swoop in front of me spreading his wings and then land on the little tree right by our patio. I always thought he wanted to show me how handsome he was!Woman LOL

Then we would hang out together. 

I"d say-"Hi Buddy! I'm so glad to see you! Goodmorning!"

Every day he would come.

I also had a toad that would visit every day and sit next to me on the concrete.He got to know my voice and me very well and would hop away when he heard an unfamiliar voice.

I read later that mockingbirds are very curious and like the sound of human voices.

Robins too can be friendly to humans and can recognize faces, our voices and our habits and know when one is a predator or friendly. 

Many wild animals and birds learn to recognize us and our voices and know when they have a friendly human that can even offer protection or even better-food!

I didn't feed the mockingbird or the robins here but after reading here about leaving water, I put out a dish of water. I saw a squirrel enjoying it a few days ago, so I was glad.

After reading your post @ciao_bella, and one mentioning their song, I went to listen and it is amazing how many sounds the mockingbird makes and such pretty music!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

They must be related to lyrebirds.  

Esteemed Contributor

He must have studied at Juilliard! There are usually 5 tones in wind chimes! But even to mimic 2 or 3 - amazing!

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I actually had a mockingbird friend once. He would come every day and swoop in front of me spreading his wings and then land on the little tree right by our patio. I always thought he wanted to show me how handsome he was!Woman LOL

Then we would hang out together. 

I"d say-"Hi Buddy! I'm so glad to see you! Goodmorning!"

Every day he would come.

I also had a toad that would visit every day and sit next to me on the concrete.He got to know my voice and me very well and would hop away when he heard an unfamiliar voice.

I read later that mockingbirds are very curious and like the sound of human voices.

Robins too can be friendly to humans and can recognize faces, our voices and our habits and know when one is a predator or friendly. 

Many wild animals and birds learn to recognize us and our voices and know when they have a friendly human that can even offer protection or even better-food!

I didn't feed the mockingbird or the robins here but after reading here about leaving water, I put out a dish of water. I saw a squirrel enjoying it a few days ago, so I was glad.

After reading your post @ciao_bella, and one mentioning their song, I went to listen and it is amazing how many sounds the mockingbird makes and such pretty music!

@on the bay 

We have turtle doves and one very territorial hummer, always protecting the feeder we hung for him.  I named him Fritz.  He seems to be a loner; I hoped he would get himself a girlfriend, but have never seen one.

Speaking of water left out ..........  I put out fresh water every morning, but around 3-4pm I throw in a few ice cubes.   This began after I stuck my finger in the water on a hot day and it was HOT!   

Birdies don't want to drink or bathe in hot water.  Well, I suppose ANY clean water source can be lifesaving for birds, but I think ice cubes keep the temperature in check.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Tinkrbl44,

I didn't think of that!

(and I hope Fritz finds a girlfriend too lol!)Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"