Trusted Contributor

Mobility Scooter on QVC

[ Edited ]

My friend weighs 350 pounds.  Height 5'1".   She has recently hard a difficult time walking and now she needs to carry an oxygen tank with her.

We have been looking at this mobility scooter offered on QVC.

Is it easy, and light enough, for her to lift up and put in trunk of her Toyota Corolla?

Is this a good product that folds up small enough to check in an airplane?

Also, where does she attach her oxygen tank on a scooter?

EV Rider Folding Mobility Scooter

Thank you for your help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mobility Scooter on QVC

[ Edited ]

The vendor mentioned the EV Rider Mobility Scooter has a weight limit of 250#'s.  I just checked, and it is.

Trusted Contributor

You are a nice friend.  If you go to the item page and scroll down to the "Manual" tab, on page 9 of the PDF it says weight capacity is 250 lbs.  I wonder if you might find another scooter that has a higher weight capacity.  This item,while nice, does not look very sturdy. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think the QVC scooters have the capacity of carrying 350+lbs.  I have two scooters and both have to be disassembled to transport.. the folding ones don't normally carry more than 250lbs.  I can assemble/disassemble one in less than a minute.  I get amused at the video they show of the woman effortlessly lifting the scooter into the car.  She must be a body builder because it has to weigh at least 50lbs plus another 30lbs for the battery. 

In researching my newer scooter last week, made by Drive Medical, I was surprised to learn they can now be ordered at Walmart.  I think they do make models with a large capacity.  They make a nice scooter for the price.  Your friend should only consider the 4-wheel models.  The descriptions list the capacity and the weight of the heaviest piece. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@EatWell  You might want to read this thread from a few days ago.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Scooters/m-p/3936480#M109695

Trusted Contributor

Good info @Kachina624.  And as I looked at several medical sites, the weight of the ones that wil hold more weight go over 100 lbs and even higher, which makes it almost impossible for his friend to lift yet alone be able to fit  in a Toyota Corolla.  But there are many sites out there (medical quiipment sites also) that offer these great mobility scooters.

New Contributor

Where are the ev scooters for plus size people?  Largerst weight limit is 285.  Need one for weight limit up to 350.  There are many larger people who have issues walking long distances.  

Honored Contributor

@craftygater1   Since thus thread was written, I inherited a very large scooter from a friend who died.  Its too big and heavy to transport but I'm sure it would hold 350lbs.  It's made by Pride Medical.  I also have a larger scooter, very high quality, made by Golden Technology.

Look around, the larger capacity scooters are available.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell : I use a stand up wallker and my advise is to purchase locally if  her city has any durable medical equipment places it is much better to let the experienced customer service people help her select something that she needs. They will also help with any replacement parts or needed repairs.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mobility Scooter on QVC

[ Edited ]

It would be wise to do some of your own research to see what brands make scooters with higher weight capacities. You didn't mention her age, but if she is on Medicare, Medicaid, or disability, the cost can be subsidized if a dr says she requires a scooter.  You are a thoughtful friend to think of her needs.