Honored Contributor

Mobile Homes Tossed 60 Feet in Hurricane

I wonder if it could be possible in the future to gradually "rule out" by statute, having mobile homes in prime hurricane zones.  On the one hand, it is an infringement on freedom;  on the other, it's unbearable to think of the danger faced by occupants of mobile homes under these conditions.

Of course people want to live in beatiful, seaside areas.  And to build hurricane resistant concrete homes would be prohibitively expensive for many.   A dilemma that I would guess has long been considered.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mobile Homes Tossed 60 Feet in Hurricane

@Oznell, this is being debated all over...on the flip side, a large number of mobile homes made it on the Keys...and all over Florida....a number of brick and mortar homes were decimated. There are never easy answers.

Look at all the mobile homes that exist in states prone to tornadoes: it's not just Florida.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

PS, I just saw the Nun video you posted. Cornell, I have so much to do today, but if you could find time to search out more positive Harvey and Irma stories,, I would love it.

Grateful to be alive and to be here to help others.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

My guess would be that many of these mobile homes are not adequately tied down.  This is something that should be required by local ordinances. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Alot depends on how the storm "Hits" an area. If the wind and or rain comes at a mobile home or home at a certain direction. It can either do maximum damage or no damage.

My cousin has a home in Jacksonville. Hurricane Matthew came and the flood water was 6" from their house. Irma came and did no damage and no flood water.

Our friends in Titusville, got lots of wind and rain with Irma. But no flooding and have had power the entire time.

My sister-in-law in Houston had no flooding from Hurricane Harvey.

For many years my Uncle was a snow bird in a Florda trailer. Never had any problems - that is why he continued to do it.

Honored Contributor

This is a reinforced concrete power pole on Cudjoe Key. What kind of force does it take to do this?

That's Venture Out in the background. The old trailers did about as well as expected. New ones built to recent standards did surprisingly well.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor
Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@Preds, this is the kind of thing I've spoken about on other threads.

I hate to say this, but Irma was far easier to deal with than Charley. With Charley, we had one tornado after another. It was horrendous beyond words.

There were tornadoes with Irma, and I suspect that's what did that cement in. I really do believe it's the tornadoes that probably cause more damage in certain places in addition to the winds.

It was nerve-wracking going through the winds during the height of the storm. I kept myself calm by telling myself at least I wasn't hearing the freight train sound, or feeling excruciating pain in my ears or pressure in my chest.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

My ears did pop once when the eye came over.  Surprised me!  We could hear the rain being blown against the walls.

The rain was coming down as fast a possible to fall according to TV.

Driving home I went through an area where the water was very high but not a leaf off a tree.  In most areas the leaves made a carpet.  

The only damage I saw to any mobile home was a carport roof down and some gutters blown off.  No substantial damage to the mobile units.  

Didn't know we had hurricane zones.  They have gone all over the eastern US.

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

This is a reinforced concrete power pole on Cudjoe Key. What kind of force does it take to do this?

That's Venture Out in the background. The old trailers did about as well as expected. New ones built to recent standards did surprisingly well.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

@Preds

I know people who work in the manufactured home industry here in Florida and they report very little damage to the newer homes. It really speaks volumes about the improved standards. 

Sadly, there are still a huge number of older manufactured homes and mobile homes that don't meet the new safety standards. They will be safety hazards as long as they exist.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3,I appreciate your comments. What is that side industry going to do to change that...there are no bcc easy answers here

Hugs.

W

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Preds, this is the kind of thing I've spoken about on other threads.

I hate to say this, but Irma was far easier to deal with than Charley. With Charley, we had one tornado after another. It was horrendous beyond words.

There were tornadoes with Irma, and I suspect that's what did that cement in. I really do believe it's the tornadoes that probably cause more damage in certain places in addition to the winds.

It was nerve-wracking going through the winds during the height of the storm. I kept myself calm by telling myself at least I wasn't hearing the freight train sound, or feeling excruciating pain in my ears or pressure in my chest.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  Of coarse it's all about location, location, location...where you are/where your home is when the storm passes. There are several islands that were all but removed from being left on the map from Irma and they are now claiming that Barbuda has lost an entire civilization.

Eyes wide open with that fact...the last I heard of anything close was in history books.

For anyone interested, google 'Barbuda is empty for first time in 300 years after Irma'.

I keep viewing pics/images of all these places now lacking any sign of wildlife, plants or trees (every leaf missing and the bark stripped off).