Super Contributor

I've always thought a mistake to be something accidental, like pushing the wrong key on a computer, or not balancing the checkbook, or burning dinner.

A crime occurs when the law of the land is broken.

Celebrities seem to equate the two. You can be indicted, even convicted, of crimes such as tax evasion, assault, animal cruelty, or even murder, and cop to making a "mistake".

There have been people who broke the law and owned up to it. I'm thinking of the civil rights marchers, Martin Luther King, Abby Hoffman, and Gandhi. On the darker side, there's Charles Manson, several tyrants and terrorists who never said "Oops, I made a mistake".

We all pay for the "mistakes" of "Housewives", athletes, clergy, and Wall Street tycoons, if not materially, spiritually. And what an example for children!

Apologies are in order. Real ones.

Honored Contributor
A mistake is also defined as an action that is misguided or wrong. That would not mean an apology is not needed or appropriate, .
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
Abby Hoffman does not belong in the same sentence with MLK and Gandhi.
Valued Contributor

A further definition of mistake is "an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc".

Valued Contributor
On 9/12/2014 bikerbabe said: Abby Hoffman does not belong in the same sentence with MLK and Gandhi.

Or Charles Manson!!

Honored Contributor

What some consider a mistake nowadays are much further away than my definition of a mistake. Committing a crime, especially if it is felonious, a mistake? Not using my definition of mistake. The work crime and criminal fits my definition more closely.

If I were to pop my wife and say, ooopsi, a mistake? Don't think that would fly very far.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It always depends on the circumstances ......

A few years back, an elderly man ran his car through a farmers market here in Santa Monica and injured 14 people and killed a few, as well.

He pushed the accelerator with his foot ..... and meant to hit the brake.

A bad mistake, to be sure. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Valued Contributor

Back in the day, a mistake was something you could correct with an eraser!!! This nonsense about things being a mistake these days is pathetic!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

Teresa Guidice says she made a mistake because her mistake was GETTING CAUGHT!

Super Contributor
On 9/12/2014 bikerbabe said: Abby Hoffman does not belong in the same sentence with MLK and Gandhi.

Why not?

Because his protests were met by violent responses by the authorities (Chicago police) ? He wasn't the violent one. Nor were any of the other Chicago anti-war protesters, as history has now confirmed.