Valued Contributor

Re: Missing girl, Jayme Closs, found alive!

@proudlyfromNJ, up until last summer I could view her page. Then I upset her about the kids and she blocked me. I'm not sure how all of this works, but my sister and niece keep me in the loop of what goes on!

Oh, and if this is any indication of how private her page is, a guy I went to high school with tracked me down through her. He heard me talking to someone at our high school reunion and remembered her first name, reached out to women in the area, of approximately the right age range and Bingo! got my daughter who thoughtlessly gave up my email address. Scary stuff.
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2.  I'm assuming your daughter does not have an open FB so then only her friends can see the pictures, not the whole world. If I knew her name and tried to see her page, I wouldn't be able to as she does not have me as a friend.

There is nothing to prevent the friends of those having access to the daughter's FB from access to the pictures and the friends of friends...

I agree that posting the pictures of children is a bad choice but nothing was gained by criticizing the daughter while something was lost. It's hard to stand by and stay out of what is detrimental to those we love. 

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
@proudlyfromNJ, up until last summer I could view her page. Then I upset her about the kids and she blocked me. I'm not sure how all of this works, but my sister and niece keep me in the loop of what goes on!

Oh, and if this is any indication of how private her page is, a guy I went to high school with tracked me down through her. He heard me talking to someone at our high school reunion and remembered her first name, reached out to women in the area, of approximately the right age range and Bingo! got my daughter who thoughtlessly gave up my email address. Scary stuff.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2. If he tracked her down, either she had a public page or he asked her to friend him. Some people have very tight controls and other people don't care who sees their information. 

The hosts at QVC all have public pages. You just need to google their name plus Facebook and it comes up. 

Hopefully your daughter won't give your private info out to anyone anymore without checking with you first.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2.  I'm assuming your daughter does not have an open FB so then only her friends can see the pictures, not the whole world. If I knew her name and tried to see her page, I wouldn't be able to as she does not have me as a friend.

There is nothing to prevent the friends of those having access to the daughter's FB from access to the pictures and the friends of friends...

I agree that posting the pictures of children is a bad choice but nothing was gained by criticizing the daughter while something was lost. It's hard to stand by and stay out of what is detrimental to those we love. 

@occasionalrain.  If you have your controls strictly set, friends of your friends cannot see your page. Not everyone does this as I can see when some of my friends post to people I don't know. My controls are set to not allow this.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

I have my privacy settings as you said. Friends only, not friends of friends. I also have my friends list available to view by me only. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain, @proudlyfromNJ, @Its Me LuLuBelle2  -  Scary story about what I found out through a blog post.  A friend was building a house and read this woman's blog, which I'd never seen.  The blogger had built a new home and was incredibly careful not to show the entirety of the inside of the home's layout and even sighted the reason as safety for her large family.  My friend asked me to look at the blog and see if I could figure the layout (since I'm in design and architecture).  The exterior of the home was shown.  After spending a mere hour on her blog, I figured out her last name (from a clue in a photo she posted), and took a chance through one photo of what state she lived.  I'd figured out her and her husband's last name and what town and state where they lived.  At that point, I was able to do a property record search and had her physical address and plan of her home, which was on the county tax accessor's website.  By being able to look at exterior house shots and then matching up interior shots, I was able to figure out the layout of her home.  Thankfully, I'm not a crazy person, houses are just my thing.  This blogger is careful, so she thinks, about how she posts pictures, doesn't reveal her last name, but just by really looking closely at some photos, I was able to figure it out.  

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 That's the reason I don't post photos and I use a pseudonym for my FB page. Still nothing is totally safe online.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Watched both press briefings on the Green Bay TV station. Law enforcement patted themselves in the back, but the hero was that resourceful young girl who found a way to stay alive and escape. Police admitted the culprit was never on their radar.

Thank you, @AuntG! Sorry, but I couldn't believe the way a few of the police officers kept on giving themsevles praise. You are so right. The hero here was that young lady.

The young lady saved herself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

******UPDATE******

New details from the abductors court hearing:

Jake Patterson told cops that he decided that Jayme Closs was 'the girl he was going to take' after a chance sighting of her getting off the schoolbus when it stopped in front of him as he drove to work.

The horrifying details of the Closs murders and Jayme's abduction have emerged for the first time in the criminal complaint filed today ahead of Patterson's first court appearance in Barron County Circuit Court.

Shocking details of the night of October 15, when Patterson enacted his hideous crime, along with the conditions in which Jayme was held and her escape have been disclosed for the first time in the criminal complaint filed today

Jayme Closs cowered in the bathroom with her mother as Jake Patterson shot her father in the head then watched in horror as he did the same to her mother minutes after kicking in the flimsy door.

Dressed in black from head to toe including a face mask, hat and gloves Patterson grabbed the terrified teenager, taped her hands and ankles together, covered her mouth with tape and dragged her out of her home to his waiting car.

According to Jayme her abductor then bundled into the trunk and drove her approximately two hours to the cabin where he would hold her for the next three months.

According to Jayme's account Patterson took her into the cabin, removed the tape from her mouth, hands and ankles and told her to go into the bathroom and remove all her clothes.

He made her put the clothes in which she had been abducted into a bag, making some comment about 'not having evidence.'

When friends of relatives visited Patterson 'made it clear that nobody was to know she was there or bad things would happen to her.'

He made her hide under his bed in once corner of his bedroom and stacked totes and laundry bins around the bed with weights stacked against them so she could not move them without his being able to detect if she did.

On one occasion, according to the documents Jayme stated Patterson got mad and 'hit her really hard on the back with the handle of something he used to clean blinds.'

She could not remember what had angered him.

Her escape came when he left the cabin and she managed to push the weights away and flee.

Read the 12 page criminal complaint from court and more details here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6591107/Jayme-Closs-hid-bathtub-mother-man-charged-kidnappi...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.