Honored Contributor

Re: Missing girl, Jayme Closs, found alive!

****UPDATE****

8:07 AM -- Officials have identified the kidnapper as 21-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson. He's been charged with 2 counts of first-degree homicide for the killing of Jayme's parents and 1 count of kidnapping. Patterson's being held in Barron County jail. Authorities say Jake had no criminal history and had no connection to the Closs family. 

Officials say it's unclear how Jayme escaped her captor but added she perfectly described one of Patterson's vehicles, which helped cops quickly spot his car. Cops pulled Patterson over and arrested him without incident. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

This Closs story reminds me ery much of when Shasta Groene and her brother were kidnapped from the home where her mother, stepfather, and another sibling had been killed.  Shasta had been the target of that too, like Jayme was the target in this case.

Shasta's brother, who was taken with her, was killed too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_E._Duncan_III

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Very sad story!  ...but I'm glad for her that she escaped and is alive!

I wonder though how this creep came to their house?  Was it totally random or did he know them?

I'm wondering the same thing. I wonder if he had just seen her out and about somewhere and got obsessed with her?

@happycat, @haddon9  -  I'm with you, wonder if he'd seen her before?  I certainly hope he hadn't been chatting with her online and duped her into thinking he was someone else.  There are so many possibilities.  It may be completely random, or he could have seen her out and followed her to see where she lived, he could have delivered something to their home, he could have been working for a business that he'd have access to their address (car repair) and she was there with her parents and he saw her.  So many scary possibilities. 

Honored Contributor

It is a wonder that he did not kill her also, i sure hope there is people that will give her all the care she needs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It is a wonder that he did not kill her also, i sure hope there is people that will give her all the care she needs.

I do, too @goldensrbest.  She's seen a lot.

I just hope the authorities (MEDIA) don't give all the sordid details of anything she endured.  That's up to her to decide if she wants that public.  And at that age, I don't even know if she would be old enought to make that decision.  It's an awful mess to process, I'm sure.

God bless her.

Esteemed Contributor

That is such great news.  We have been praying for a good outcome & have never given up.  This is a news story that we hear every day on the TV &  our local radio station.

Respected Contributor

Just saw a news conferance and the scuzzball planned this.  They didn't let out much information, due to not wanting to jeapordize the case, but they did say he'd shaved his head to avoid leaving forensic evidence and he used a shotgun (which was recovered from his home) to shoot down the door, commit the murders and then take her hostage.  I hope he didn't harm her physically.  That poor girl, I'm so happy she got away and hope that she gets counseling.  Can't even say here what he deserves.

Honored Contributor

Watched both press briefings on the Green Bay TV station. Law enforcement patted themselves in the back, but the hero was that resourceful young girl who found a way to stay alive and escape. Police admitted the culprit was never on their radar.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I do, too @goldensrbest.  She's seen a lot.

I just hope the authorities (MEDIA) don't give all the sordid details of anything she endured.  That's up to her to decide if she wants that public.  And at that age, I don't even know if she would be old enought to make that decision.  It's an awful mess to process, I'm sure.

God bless her.

But isn't it up to the police to determine if "sordid details" are appropriate to release to the media?

Respected Contributor

This Patterson worked one day where Jayme's parents worked for 27 years in a well known local Turkey processing plant.  He quit the next day saying he was moving? 

He was quiet and a good student who wanted to go into the military.  Very distant kid classmates say.

His Dad paid for the cabin valued about $79,000 and fully paid for . When he was caught they figured he was out looking for her.  They found him quickly. The gun was found in his cabin consistent with the one used to kill the parents. She is safe with her Aunt and pictured with her dog  and smiling.   She will see other family tonight.

A lot of unanswered questions.