Honored Contributor

Re: Missing California family and their dog found dead in remote hiking area

@proudlyfromNJ 

Why not just remove those posts? There's so few threads that are engaging to more than a few posters, when one is, a bit more effort at removing obnoxious posts rather than the easy route would be much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

The only update I have seen is that there is the thought that they might have been struck by lightning.

I have seen nothing since other than the toxic algae theory was still in play since it had been found in nearby water.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I would never consider taking an infant or a young child along on a hiking trip if it was a remote area, had known wild animals that could attack, extreme weather conditions occur abruptly.

Not saying that this was where this young family was, I don't know anything about the area they were hiking.

That said, they are all deceased now for whatever misfortune they ran in to.

I guess what really bothers me about this is wondering if the parents passed first and the baby was left on it's own until it died.

All things need to be considered when taking an infant or young child on excursions like this which can happen on foot, by automobile or boat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

RIP, dear family and dog. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if some kind of toxic gas from the ground killed them....like carbon monoxide or methane which naturally comes out of the ground in some places. The Sierra Nevada Mountains have volcanic gas vents in certain areas where there is CO2 expelled. CO2 is odorless and if you breathe enough of it in then you just lay down and die painlessly like you fall asleep and never wake up.

Honored Contributor

DH thinks it's the algae. It would instantly destroy the livers. Results from autopsies and the necropsy would take a while. He said it wouldn't be brain eating amoeba because they would not have died instantly. It could take days, weeks. months, or even years to destroy the brain. 

I doubt foul play was involved.

So sad for their loved ones.

Respected Contributor

IS THIS NECESSARY?????   Seriously!!!

Respected Contributor

Are you SERIOUSLY speculating on how this family died???? OMG...STOP!

Respected Contributor

STOP speculating and wait for the FACTS

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

STOP speculating and wait for the FACTS

@Tinkerbell3 I do like you even when we disagree. However, I saw you speculating on the Petito thread, making sure everyone knew you thought her boyfriend killed her without ANY FACTS. So, if it's okay for you to do, then it's okay for everyone else to do. Sorry.