Respected Contributor

Re: Missing California family and their dog found dead in remote hiking area

CaliforniaNewsTimes

Initial autopsy fails to reveal what killed family of 3, pet dog on hiking trail.

Autopsies are deepening after they do not provide immediate clues as to the cause of their death.

Mariposa County coroners are waiting for toxicological results as investigators continue to explore potential clues. These results are expected to take at least 2-3 weeks.

According to Sheriff spokesman Christie Mitchell, the family dog, Okushi, is being autopsied, adding that no other animal died in the immediate vicinity.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@mousiegirl @No marks on the bodies.

@Mindy D   I was referring to the fact that dogs will eat anything whether it is toxic or not, when a poster said that animals instinctively stay away from toxins, so don't understand your reply.

@mousiegirl 

It is true Domesticated dogs will eat almost anything given to them by their owners, or that their owners are eating, and sometimes other strange things. However, I have seen them use discretion with fungi, water plants, some herbs, and oddly some sushi.  The blanket statement “anything” doesn’t hold.

Wild dogs (which I know this family dog was not) are much more discriminating, and cautious about what they eat.  I guess they remember they have to look out for themselves.

I hope someone is able to identify the cause of death of this family.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@mousiegirl @No marks on the bodies.

@Mindy D   I was referring to the fact that dogs will eat anything whether it is toxic or not, when a poster said that animals instinctively stay away from toxins, so don't understand your reply.

@mousiegirl 

It is true Domesticated dogs will eat almost anything given to them by their owners, or that their owners are eating, and sometimes other strange things. However, I have seen them use discretion with fungi, water plants, some herbs, and oddly some sushi.  The blanket statement “anything” doesn’t hold.

Wild dogs (which I know this family dog was not) are much more discriminating, and cautious about what they eat.  I guess they remember they have to look out for themselves.

I hope someone is able to identify the cause of death of this family.

@Drythe   This is true and that is why I indicated in my post that pets are fed at home and very unlikely to go out and ingest toxic plants.

Now a cat will turn up her nose if you change the brand of her food.  LOL

Even our keets were picky about certain "treats".

Dogs just go with what the humans are eating.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Drythe  Yes my daughter's dog will eat anything.

She lives in the city of Denver.  She often calls me when walking the dog in the evenings (for safety).

She is constantly looking ahead of where they are walking because people throw trash everywhere.

She'll find marijuana edibles, old food (her neighbor sets out poison to kill mice and rats.  

She's gotten to the point where she mainly takes her dog to her boyfriend's house and/or dog parks.

Anyone who lives in Colorado knows there are unlimited huge dog parks there.

I didn't know anything about this story.  I do watch all of the various shows about real life murders.

Just reading some of the posts, they don't sound like people who'd kill themselves.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband was raised in Colorado where algae blooms occur as well and he said people would get sick but not die.  Also, as a young boy he explored the many abandoned mines out there and said there was never enough carbon monoxide to kill someone and he never got light headed or nauseous.  He was an avid hiker.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone remember the people who died in Africa (I think) 

when a local pond released a mass of CO-2?

Very sad.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Very sad.

I found a story of lethal CO2gas killing villagers, animals, insects, all life iin and around a village in Cameroon in 1986. Is that the one? 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Very sad.

I found a story of lethal CO2gas killing villagers, animals, insects, all life iin and around a village in Cameroon in 1986. Is that the one? 

@GingerPeach 

Thank you, that is the one I was thinking of.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

3F44CF93-8DF3-4178-8147-86D0E127E10D.jpegSo sad. Toxicology results from autopsies are pending. They are looking at toxic algae or other hazards in the area that might have contributed to their deaths...

I wonder if the toxicology tests might show they took their own lives....that would be hard to understand as everyone who knew them said they were a wonderful loving family.....guess we Will know in a few days once the toxicology tests come out.

The couple were known to be avid hikers. Their friend, Mariposa real estate agent Sidney Radanovich, said Gerrish was a San Francisco-based software designer who, with his wife, "fell in love with the Mariposa area" and bought several homes there, a residence for themselves and rental investments

https://people.com/human-interest/john-gerrish-ellen-chung-miju-family-of-3-mysterious-death-califor...AE04E5A6-C07D-44E5-94D0-EAA8D0545386.png

Wonder when we will find what the Tests and autopsy reports will conclude on  what killed this family?

Honored Contributor

This story is allowed ,but what is going on in Florida gets deleted?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.