Honored Contributor

Missing California family and their dog found dead in remote hiking area

[ Edited ]

3F44CF93-8DF3-4178-8147-86D0E127E10D.jpegSo sad. Toxicology results from autopsies are pending. They are looking at toxic algae or other hazards in the area that might have contributed to their deaths...

I wonder if the toxicology tests might show they took their own lives....that would be hard to understand as everyone who knew them said they were a wonderful loving family.....guess we Will know in a few days once the toxicology tests come out.

The couple were known to be avid hikers. Their friend, Mariposa real estate agent Sidney Radanovich, said Gerrish was a San Francisco-based software designer who, with his wife, "fell in love with the Mariposa area" and bought several homes there, a residence for themselves and rental investments

https://people.com/human-interest/john-gerrish-ellen-chung-miju-family-of-3-mysterious-death-califor...AE04E5A6-C07D-44E5-94D0-EAA8D0545386.png

Honored Contributor

Re: Missing California family and their dog found dead in remote hiking area

How sad, if they took their own lives,why the baby,and dog?Never can understand killing a child,or dog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

How sad, if they took their own lives,why the baby,and dog?Never can understand killing a child,or dog.

@goldensrbest  Since they do not really know at this time....taking their own lives is only a possibility and hopefully not the case. What is odd is that other animals and birds were in the general area alive and well?  That makes me think it could have been self inflicted.  So so sad no matter what the reason 😢

Trusted Contributor

This story is so bizarre and upsetting. I do hope they get to the bottom of this so no one else loses their life.  All the bad stuff happening everywhere makes me sick to my stomach and this story is no different. 

Respected Contributor

I am sure it will turn out that the entire family and dog had a toxic exposure to something during their hike.  To speculate otherwise is unfair to this loving family.  Authorities are treating this event as a hazmat situation, and I would imagine that is the case, because all of the members of the family, including the dog, were likely found dead together in a small area (as if they all died suddenly and unexpectedly) without any signs of trauma.  

This is a terrible tragedy.   

Honored Contributor

I read about this yesterday. They also said carbon monoxide may have killed them. Sad strange case.

Respected Contributor

When I googled toxic algae to read about it, I did not know that it has been killing dogs throughout the country in the past. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itsmagic wrote:

When I googled toxic algae to read about it, I did not know that it has been killing dogs throughout the country in the past. 

Oh ,yes lakes,standing water, ponds, warnings up here in Maine. Sure it is almost every where.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

I am sure it will turn out that the entire family and dog had a toxic exposure to something during their hike.  To speculate otherwise is unfair to this loving family.  Authorities are treating this event as a hazmat situation, and I would imagine that is the case, because all of the members of the family, including the dog, were likely found dead together in a small area (as if they all died suddenly and unexpectedly) without any signs of trauma.  

@Jersey Born  I only question this as wouldn't there be other wildlife found dead if this "toxic" substance was in the area and killed them  so fast? It is not like they went home and got sick and then died....whatever killed them would be very potent and pretty much instantly kill them....there would be lots of dead wildlife and such found in the area where their bodies were found .... that is why I feel it was possible self inflicted.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Jersey Born I agree and was about to post the same thing.  

I saw this story 2(?) days ago and the authorities clearly said that there was no trauma to the victims.  Animal/human attacks have been ruled out.

It is a terrible tragedy and since hazmat is involved we know that there are plants that can kill in short time.  Or there could be a toxic dump unknown that caused contamination to something they touched.

I send thoughts to those left behind.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh