Respected Contributor

Re: Missing 5 yr old from IL...

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most abusers come from abusive families...it's a cycle and a sad one.

@SilleeMee 

The cycle is certainly broken in this instance. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Re: Missing 5 yr old from IL...

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

This is just so sad.  Poor little boy.  He was taken from his parents twice due to charges of neglect and abuse, but returned because charges were unfounded.  The parents may have killed him, but Illinois didn't protect him.

That is such a serious problem.  Terrible parents produce kids all the time.  The state social services can only do so much.  A biological parent always supersedes the state.  So often they are given back after after intervention.  My sister (she has a master's in sociology) is always going on about this.  For a long period Florida had a terrible record of social services screw ups.  I remember the death of a little girl that was the result when they returned the child to the biological mother.  Lost track of the girl till she turned up dead in a ditch.

@songbirdThat's certainly true. I work in early intervention/special education and we get a lot of kids referred to us for developmental evaluations through social services. Most of them are in foster care due to being born drug addicted, or there are concerns with their development due to various situations. With our program, the the state gives all rights to biological parents - even if they're in jail, or in rehab, or living in a different county unless their rights are terminated by the court, or the person caring for the children have court-ordered educational rights. With most of the kids, the goal for social services and the court is reunification unless parents choose termination of their rights or the court agrees to permanent custody or adoption. It can be very frustrating especially if we know the parents aren't interested or involved with their children, and the state says they have to approve or their child can't get the services he or she needs. Yes, authorities should have stepped in sooner, but until these laws change where a child's safety and well-being trumps the rights of their terrible parents, their hands are tied.