Valued Contributor
On 3/25/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

I'm a total mongrel.

I am thankful that no one seems to hold it against me.

i'm reminded occasionally at family get together's by my elders.

one of my bff's has the same problem with some of her extended family because she's so light skinned and most of her family are either medium or very dark complected.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Respected Contributor

Pageants are a relic of a fading and best-forgotten age of sexism and racism. That is my thought, anyway.

They might survive if they embrace multiculturalism instead of "national" purity; but I am not sure they really need to survive.

She's a very pretty young lady to be sure. Japan is like everywhere else; some are progressive and many are reactionary. I can imagine the reactionary complaints! But many will also applaud this.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/24/2015 abbeythe8th said:

Japanese society is not always accepting of mixed raced parentage. It's a case she doesn't ""look"" Japanese.

Sad but true.

True. She is a lovely female.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

My husband is full Japanese. When we have reunions of 40 50 people most of my husbands cousins did not mary Japanese. They married Chinese, Hispanic, afro american. Everyone is very accepting, and they never even think of the differences. But most Japanese we know had their grandparents come here about 1910. After the war, the second generation needed their kids to "fit in". since they had just got out the camps. I think Japanese here in America know about prejudice, and suffered more than many think. In Japan most marry within their race. Japan is not a country of many races. It is harder to live there if you are from another country, or not born in Japan. And obviously if you are not Japanese living there, they can pick you out pretty well., LOL! Also you must consider it has been about 70 years since the close of the war, and Japan was occupied for many years. No one was fighting to get in there.

I can see how the Japanese want someone who "looks like them" to represent their country. In America, to see an Asian, Afro American, Indian, etc woman represent us is a natural thing. We ARE a country of mixed heritage, that's who we are, and I love it. However, although I do not agree with how many Japanese citizens feel about this woman representing their country, it might be the catalyst they need. The world is changing! I guess you have to think how we were raised about the pageants. We expect to see an Indian woman represent India, a blonde ,blue eyed woman to represent Sweden , we don't expect to see an Asian as Ms Brazil. I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is what people expect at this point in history

Honored Contributor
On 3/24/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

Japan is a pretty homogenous country.

Irish

That is the perfect word. Took me 2 paragraphs to say what you said with one word. The Japanese here in America do not marry within their race as a given rule though.

Respected Contributor

My niece is married to a 1/2 Japanese man and the children from this union are beautiful, representing both cultures.

Respected Contributor
On 3/25/2015 shoekitty said:

My husband is full Japanese. When we have reunions of 40 50 people most of my husbands cousins did not mary Japanese. They married Chinese, Hispanic, afro american. Everyone is very accepting, and they never even think of the differences. But most Japanese we know had their grandparents come here about 1910. After the war, the second generation needed their kids to "fit in". since they had just got out the camps. I think Japanese here in America know about prejudice, and suffered more than many think. In Japan most marry within their race. Japan is not a country of many races. It is harder to live there if you are from another country, or not born in Japan. And obviously if you are not Japanese living there, they can pick you out pretty well., LOL! Also you must consider it has been about 70 years since the close of the war, and Japan was occupied for many years. No one was fighting to get in there.

I can see how the Japanese want someone who "looks like them" to represent their country. In America, to see an Asian, Afro American, Indian, etc woman represent us is a natural thing. We ARE a country of mixed heritage, that's who we are, and I love it. However, although I do not agree with how many Japanese citizens feel about this woman representing their country, it might be the catalyst they need. The world is changing! I guess you have to think how we were raised about the pageants. We expect to see an Indian woman represent India, a blonde ,blue eyed woman to represent Sweden , we don't expect to see an Asian as Ms Brazil. I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is what people expect at this point in history

Absolutely, and honestly I don't see anything wrong with that. It doesn't mean that people are bigoted, but when I watched the pageants as a young girl, I was fascinated by the beauty of different cultures and races. I loved seeing the more exotic countries represented by women who did not look like me or anyone I knew. I loved their clothing, makeup, hairstyles, jewelry, etc. Is mixing everyone together the answer? I'm not sure it is.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James