Respected Contributor

Re: Miss USA 2019 commits suicide

It truly saddens me that so many young people are commiting suicide these days.  My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

She thought about leaving a note, a will leaving her estate to her mother, and going to a higher floor, but didn't  spare a thought about the spectacle, the ongoing publicity of her choice?

I've known families who have had loved ones commit suicide, and while they are devastated, they take some comfort in knowing they had died peacefully.

@occasionalrain   Your point is..........?  You are comparing the families you have known to Chelsie.  There is no "right" or "wrong" way to commit suicide.

The act of suicide is complex with variables unknown to us in any situation.  What the person was thinking, what was the level of depression or other mental health issue,  had the person ever received treatment were any medications given and were these medications helping or exacerbating any conditon. 

Also your statement about publicity is illogical-she is not experiencing anything because she is gone. 

Chelsie was a public figure so her suicide garners headlines; it does not lessen the tragedy nor is it fair to compare what she did prior to the act and the act itself to other cases of suicide.

People do leave notes.  You know this.

And while I know you do stir the pot most times I find your comments here out of line on several levels.  You never know who is reading here who has experienced the suicide of a loved one.

To pass judgment on Chelsie without knowing exactly what her final thoughts were or her mental health status is troubling.  When we diminish the issue of mental health we set the issue back instead of forward in terms of understanding and promoting better therapies.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
She was living with depression, her mother said that. She wasn't just "freaked out about turning 30 thinking she was a has been".

Such sensitivity to mental health issues as always around here.

@Greeneyedlady21  - "Freaked out that she was turning 30" was a pretty ridiculous statement.

Trusted Contributor

This and all the other suicides are tragic. The US is experiencing significant growth in mental illness all age groups but especially among children and youith.  So many factors involved: social media, bullying, the pandemic, etc. Unfortunately we do not have enough medical personnel, psychologists, counseling social workers, facilities, etc. to provide help.  Mental health is underfunded and advocacy is needed now for additional funding..  I have found commentary by Dr. Charles Stanley about suicide to be helpful from a spiritual perspective. Not suggesting that this is a solution, just another source for understanding why it happens.

Respected Contributor

Seasonal Affective Disorder is very common in the winter months ... most of us can resolve our depression, but chemical imbalances are demons in disguise.

Honored Contributor

Read this morning that her mother said she'd been going through depression lately.  

Honored Contributor

I have no issue with those whose pain, whether physical or mental, is more than they can endure and find ending  their life their only option. However, they owe those who love them a last bit of kindness. A thought to whom will discover them dead, what image will remain with their family forever. A friend's son chose to stage his death as an accident and crashed his car into a tree, another young man chose carbon monoxide in an area where police, not family, would find him, and then there are drugs. 

This woman had those options and more, instead she chose to splatter her body on a public street, without a care as to those she might land upon and kill or what innocent passerby might be forced to experience an event giving them BTSD.

Her grandfather claimed she cared about others, her choice puts that in question.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain   What you do not understand about suicide ideation is.................a lot.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the comments about mental health, depression, suicide, high functioning depression (which this lovely young woman lived with) are beyond comprehension and are repulsive. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain I don't know if your comments are meant to be provacative or if you're truly this much of an insensitive, damaged person. I really hope you're just a troll and not really like this. 
The things you say would never even cross most decent people's minds, let alone, say it. 

Your constant criticism and judgement of others would be best used on yourself.