Honored Contributor

Re: Miss USA 2019 commits suicide

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

If this is investigated, and she was bullied on line, I hope they find these people, and prosecute them.  That's a form of a crime to me.  You see what resulted from someones actions.  What a waste of human potential. That's so sad.

@qualitygal 

Are you under the impression that bullying is an offense that can be prosecuted?  

IMO, If this woman was that freaked out about turning 30 ... thinking she is a has been, too bad she wasn't able to have a chat with Betty White ...  it might have made a difference.  

Honored Contributor

Looking back, a hundred years ago, I recall in-person bullies.  

I guess we just didn't pay any attention to them in that time frame.

My dad would often say, throughout his life, 'Don't pay any attention'. 

I've even heard him say this to neighbors, etc. who were having neighbor and other issues in their lives.

As far as online bullying and bullies, it seems as though being bullied online would be a maybe slighter lesser issue, rather than

in person.  

Being continuously bullied in person could mean a threat of some kind.  That would/might bother me, being the threat would be local/nearby.  And could end up dangerous.

I guess what I'm saying/meaning is that it would be a good idea for parents to train their youngsters to 'Don't pay attention' to online bullies.  

Now, if it's in person, that's another matter that should prompt them to talk with their school, law enforcement, etc.  

Let's wish safety for all.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Schizophrenia crossed my mind, voices in the head telling her what to do.

How could such a young person with not only beauty, but intelligence and great accomplishments commit suicide, unless she had an ongoing depression that she couldn't rise from, such a waste, someone who could offer so much.

We knew a family with a tennage son with Schizophrenia who commited suicide.

Honored Contributor

It would be interesting to know if this beautiful woman was under some type(s) of legal medication. 

Sometimes it's an accident;  Taking the wrong types or combining various meds.  Which might prompt someone to do something dangerous in an overly relaxed way.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

sometimes too just getting the "cocktail of psychotrophic medications and dosages" right can be an ongoing thing as well.. We did deal with non-verbal autism and tonic-clonic seizures. It can be a lot..My heart goes out to her family. so sad and uncalled for,

Trusted Contributor

So tragic. She was so beautiful and accomplished. It seems beauty pageants, or whatever the current title for them is now, are becoming outdated and social media may be to blame. Every contestant sets themselves up as a target for mean and constant negative comments from total strangers as soon as they enter the circuit. Prays for those who loved her and she left behind.

Honored Contributor

She was living with depression, her mother said that. She wasn't just "freaked out about turning 30 thinking she was a has been".

Such sensitivity to mental health issues as always around here.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

She could have chosen a less dramatic ending, but she seemed addicted to attention. Not a thought for those she left behind. 

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

She could have chosen a less dramatic ending, but she seemed addicted to attention. Not a thought for those she left behind. 

I don't know who this person is at all, but I would be hard-pressed to believe that she jumped to her death for attention. When someone is at the point of suicide, they are in so much pain they cannot think of anyone else, only of ending their pain. 😑

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

She thought about leaving a note, a will leaving her estate to her mother, and going to a higher floor, but didn't  spare a thought about the spectacle, the ongoing publicity of her choice?

I've known families who have had loved ones commit suicide, and while they are devastated, they take some comfort in knowing they had died peacefully.