Honored Contributor

Miss New Jersey Dies From Car Crash Injuries

The following story struck me as especially tragic, I suppose because this woman "had it all" but was so unwise as to not wear her seat belt and be speeding in not-great road conditions.  A beautiful woman who was a Princeton graduate (a fortune spent on education if she went to Princeton), former Miss America contestant, with a great job and gentleman friend.  Her whole life ahead of her - now gone.   Everyone: please buckle up your seatbelts and drive carefully.  If you start speeding and/or fail to buckle up, just think of this story. (In the first story I read about this when the accident just happened a week ago, they gave her speed and it was really high - forgot what now but waaaay over the speed limit which was downright foolish):

http://nypost.com/2016/02/22/miss-new-jersey-dies-week-after-car-crash/

Trusted Contributor

Re: Miss New Jersey Dies From Car Crash Injuries

That is sad news... Thanks for the reminder @Pearlee.

Super Contributor

So very sad. I feel for her family and friends. Yes, please everyone buckle up

Honored Contributor

While I agree that everyone should always wear a seatbelt, I doubt that would have helped her.  She was driving a smaller car (Mustang) that slammed into a tree, then spun around and hit 2 more trees.

What a tragedy. If there is any good that came out of this, it's that her organs were donated. 

Honored Contributor

She was on Route 55 when the accident occurred. Route 55 is a fast road. If you're not going 75 mph or faster (the speed limit is 65) you're apt to be run off the road. It's great to say don't speed, but on some roads you're more likely to get in an accident going slower. People will quite literally run you over. The issue in this accident most likely wasn't the initial collision. Her airbags deployed and she'd likely have survived the initial impact. The problem comes after the airbags deployed. Once deployed, they lose their effectiveness on any subsequent collisions. The secondary impacts with the other two trees is most likely what caused the fatal injuries. Once that initial deployment is done, the airbags become useless and you're only restrained by the seatbelts and they're not as effective. The first impact apparently deployed the airbags, but also sent the car spinning into two additional trees. I suspect that spinning sent her head into driver's side window when she impacted the secondary trees resulting in the fatal injuries. 

Keith Jones an NBC 10 news anchor was dating her.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

While I agree that everyone should always wear a seatbelt, I doubt that would have helped her.  She was driving a smaller car (Mustang) that slammed into a tree, then spun around and hit 2 more trees.

@Lipstickdiva  We can't know that from reading the news accounts - only from seeing the autopsy results and being able to interpret them.  That said, it certainly wouldn't have made things worse - and perhaps better, if she'd been wearing her seat belt.  We don't know what her injuries were exactly, esp. head injuries and whether she went through the windshield or not. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

She was on Route 55 when the accident occurred. Route 55 is a fast road. If you're not going 75 mph or faster (the speed limit is 65) you're apt to be run off the road. It's great to say don't speed, but on some roads you're more likely to get in an accident going slower. People will quite literally run you over. The issue in this accident most likely wasn't the initial collision. Her airbags deployed and she'd likely have survived the initial impact. The problem comes after the airbags deployed. Once deployed, they lose their effectiveness on any subsequent collisions. The secondary impacts with the other two trees is most likely what caused the fatal injuries. Once that initial deployment is done, the airbags become useless and you're only restrained by the seatbelts and they're not as effective. The first impact apparently deployed the airbags, but also sent the car spinning into two additional trees. I suspect that spinning sent her head into driver's side window when she impacted the secondary trees resulting in the fatal injuries. 

Keith Jones an NBC 10 news anchor was dating her.

Again, we don't know the autopsy results.  The article I posted states whom she was dating.

Respected Contributor

This is so sad!

I had not heard about this.

My prayers goes out to her friends and family and all that loved her.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear.  She was so young and so lovely.  Sad news. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

very sad news especially for someone with their whole life ahead of them.