Honored Contributor

Re: Mispronunciation of gem names

@sewretro wrote:

I know some gem names can be difficult to pronounce. You would think a host would go over every gem name on her list with seasoned hosts to make sure she is pronouncing the names correctly. When that apparently does not happen you would think the vendor on air with her or most definetly the producer in her ear should correct her if she blunders the name of a gem. I could not believe my ears this morning when I heard Ali Carr call Lapis Lazuli, Lapis "LA-ZOO-LEE". I even ran my TV back to listen again to make sure I had heard it right. The vendor on air didn't correct her and I know no one corrected her in her ear because she called it that again at the end of the presentation. QVC! EDUCATE YOUR HOSTS ON HOW TO PRONOUNCE WHAT THEY ARE PRESENTING! It makes the host and your station appear very unprofessional and foolish.

wait.....i have always heard and said LA ZOO LEE.....how are you supposed to pronounce it?

it looks like there are two acceptable ways to say it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sewretro 

Tis true - both ways are correct, you may wince at one or the other - but they're both acceptable.

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@sewretro 

Tis true - both ways are correct, you may wince at one or the other - but they're both acceptable.

thanks for confirming that @MoonieBaby .

i was just doing some searching on the pronounciation and it seems there are at least two ways to pronounce it. i do say lah zoo lee.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Hi @sunshine45 

I say it like you do MOST of the time.

- but yea, sometimes I hear myself say laz zu lie - and I wince!

Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I remember when Kendy Kloepfer of ShopHQ was on QVC for a minute or so & she pronounced garnet as Garr-Net.

Respected Contributor

Well, did anybody buy any of these gemstones or did they just worry about the hosts' pronunciation?

When I shop, I look at the item and the price and then read the description.  I want all the details regarding carat weight, quality, etc. 

The host presenting the item live is an extra bonus.

There are so many places selling jewelry, and the knowledge base of many hosts and clerks is mainly at the basic level, so I never criticize what people know or do not know.  

The most important thing regarding a jewelry purchase is MY knowledge!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick wrote:

...Adele Dazeem...

😂 THE BEST! @MamaWick THE BEST!

Esteemed Contributor

Let's not even mention that I heard the same female Host not know how to pronounce the flower Crocus while selling some shoes

Occasional Contributor

I have never heard any host or anybody that I know pronounce the gem that way. On QVC it's always been pronounced "LAZ-U-LEE". Yes I also agree that I have heard that same host mispronounce other words on air terribly. I don't look for reasons to criticize somebody but when their job consists of telling us about the product, I expect them to know how to pronounce the words. It makes me think back to last year when a cluster of hosts were let go that were knowledgeable in their presentations.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

As I've said on more than one post, get rid of the hosts and let the vendor present their product.