Occasional Contributor

Mispronunciation of gem names

I know some gem names can be difficult to pronounce. You would think a host would go over every gem name on her list with seasoned hosts to make sure she is pronouncing the names correctly. When that apparently does not happen you would think the vendor on air with her or most definetly the producer in her ear should correct her if she blunders the name of a gem. I could not believe my ears this morning when I heard Ali Carr call Lapis Lazuli, Lapis "LA-ZOO-LEE". I even ran my TV back to listen again to make sure I had heard it right. The vendor on air didn't correct her and I know no one corrected her in her ear because she called it that again at the end of the presentation. QVC! EDUCATE YOUR HOSTS ON HOW TO PRONOUNCE WHAT THEY ARE PRESENTING! It makes the host and your station appear very unprofessional and foolish.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mispronunciation of gem names

...Adele Dazeem...

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@sewretro You mean the host who thinks she's Miss Jewelry Know-It-All because she worked as a salesperson at Tiffany & Co? She wasn't supposed to be on today; she was a last minute replacement for Nancy Hornback, GG, MIA.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They should have certified gemologists . My beef is give me all the factual info abt the jewelry - weight on gold,  stone sizes ,  diamond ( cut clarity color)  info

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just shows the lack of preparation on the host part and unwillingness to learn more about the products. I remember a another host that did that and the vendor looked embarrassed and corrected her on air and paused until the host said the gem name correctly..
LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Just do some pre- show prep, it is easy to Google the correct pronunciation, or just go to YouTube , easy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Last night a host had trouble with Charoite, wanting to start with sh. She said she knew she was struggling and asked the guest to help her, even said they had practiced over the phone but she was still working on it. That’s a good way to handle it, just be honest.

Trusted Contributor

I once heard a host pronounce the in peridot. 

Respected Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

That was not incorrect. Both ways of pronouncing the word are acceptable.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

That was not incorrect. Both ways of pronouncing the word are acceptable.

That host should have learned from her host mentor, Mary Beth Roe, who has been selling her August birthstone on television for one-third of a century, that it is usually in the jewelry industry, and always in television shopping, pronounced without the t. QVC is not a children's television cartoon. However, medieval records indicate that the gemstone was once spelled peridote: thus the French would have pronounced the with a long o sound.