Honored Contributor

Re: Misophonia on the Today Show

It seems like now a days people have all these disorders and syndromes. Back in the day ,it seemed like people coped with things and didn't make it an issue. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't think people should suffer in silence if they have serious problems, but  there is so much of it today.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

How did this thread go from Mysphonia, which may be a neurological disorder involving sound, to bad table manners?  From what I read, it's an extreme sensitivity to "sounds" that disturb, upset or annoy the sufferer that doesn't ordinarily upset a person who is not affected with the disorder.

It seems some here just can't understand the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

How did this thread go from Mysphonia, which may be a neurological disorder involving sound, to bad table manners?  From what I read, it's an extreme sensitivity to "sounds" that disturb, upset or annoy the sufferer that doesn't ordinarily upset a person who is not affected with the disorder.

We understand.  But what needs to be understood is that every little quirk or reaction out of humans doesn't mean there's something wrong or it's a disorder or a phobia of some sort.  I personally don't buy into a lot of the 'phobias' going around as they are just a means to give some off wonked person a reason to live and to squeeze money out of others with their takes. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

We understand.  But what needs to be understood is that every little quirk or reaction out of humans doesn't mean there's something wrong or it's a disorder or a phobia of some sort.  I personally don't buy into a lot of the 'phobias' going around as they are just a means to give some off wonked person a reason to live and to squeeze money out of others with their takes. 

We also need to understand that some disorders, tics, phobias may be physiologically or psychologically based.  The fact that they may not yet be understood or acknowledged by medical science, doesn't mean they aren't real.  That is what research is all about.  

I don't know who you're referencing in your statement about "wonked out" people having a reason to live or squeeze money out of others.  Is someone here asking for a handout? Or are you referencing the pharmaceutical industry?  If so, that's a subject for another thread.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@baker wrote:

It seems like now a days people have all these disorders and syndromes. Back in the day ,it seemed like people coped with things and didn't make it an issue. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't think people should suffer in silence if they have serious problems, but  there is so much of it today.

I agree.  I have some of these issues, but good heavens, not to the extreme, non-functional degree that gets the headlines and the snark. Whatever quirks and foibles people may or may not have, most of the time they just deal.  No one who knows me knows I have this - I just handle it as an annoyance to me, grit my teeth occasionally, and live.

I think that a lot of the push over the past 15-20 years to give everything a name and classify things psychiatrically has to do with government, schools and funding. If you can give it a name, your kids can benefit from "special" funding and treatment. If you can squeeze it in under the autism umbrella, you've got it. Suddenly every neurological misfire is autism. (And I mean that in no way to belittle the truly autistic.)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Gee OP.  Are you sorry you posted this one?

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@baker wrote:

I agree.  I have some of these issues, but good heavens, not to the extreme, non-functional degree that gets the headlines and the snark. Whatever quirks and foibles people may or may not have, most of the time they just deal.  No one who knows me knows I have this - I just handle it as an annoyance to me, grit my teeth occasionally, and live.

I think that a lot of the push over the past 15-20 years to give everything a name and classify things psychiatrically has to do with government, schools and funding. If you can give it a name, your kids can benefit from "special" funding and treatment. If you can squeeze it in under the autism umbrella, you've got it. Suddenly every neurological misfire is autism. (And I mean that in no way to belittle the truly autistic.)

Not everyone can "just deal with it". Some people aren't able top function because of these disabilities.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Gee OP.  Are you sorry you posted this one?

I just noticed that the OP, "Blonde Moment", posted this back in 2011 and there weren't any replies, until it was bumped up this weekend...No replies from her, so she is probably not even on the forums anymore.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I know what the OP is referring to.  I have good hearing.  In the past, the actions she is annoyed with was called bad manners and not having any 'class'.  You removed yourself from a room/crowd if you were coughing AND you ALWAYS covered your mouth/nose when you sneezed or yawned.  You didn't chew or snap your gum, in fact, after you were a child you didn't need to chew gum.  I still remember the lessons dealing with all the bad manners that are so openly expressed today.  Some very small but large ways that let others know you are educated, mannered, and have some CLASS. 

Great post! Did you go to Catholic school too? lol  I did and those good nuns made sure a young person knew how to act with respect to their elders and to each other. You didn't chew gum, say HUH? or forget please and thank you etc. All good lessons that sadly are not being taught today. Manners do matter!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@baker wrote:

Not everyone can "just deal with it". Some people aren't able top function because of these disabilities.

Absolutely. ITA. But I thought it applicable to the thread to point out that there are *degrees* of not only this, but many conditions.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all