Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Misdiagnosed and had surgery!!!

I read this story yesterday and thought wow, how tragic. Unfotunalty we live in a world where human error can cause these tragedies. Lately I’ve been seeing so many article how AI is better at diagnosing cancer than humans. I wonder if this case could have benefited from that technology.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Respected Contributor

Britain's NHS.  Really want that mess in the USA?  Don't know what her legal remedies might be.  Can she sue the government?

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9   A few years ago my dentist went on a kick to get me to have my wisdom teeth pulled. I have excellent teeth & have only had 2 cavities .I have 4 wisdom teeth that don’t bother me. Yet every 6 months when I go for my cleaning the dentist corners me.My response is if it ain’t broke I’m not fixing it,period.

Another time a doctor wanted to remove a growth on my DH’s shoulder that he’s had since he was a child.It has never changed.DH was told years ago that it was benign & would never need to be removed unless it bothered him. Yet this doctor who noticed it during an EKG said it should be removed as a precaution.He kept insisting until DH literally walked out.

Frequent Contributor

Of course there are medical errors, but calling them the third largest cause of death is an urban myth, subscribed to only by conspiracy theorists.  Look it up, please.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

Britain's NHS.  Really want that mess in the USA?  Don't know what her legal remedies might be.  Can she sue the government?

Uh huh. Like that could NEVER happen in the US. Do some research and find out how often it happens here.

Where IS that eye roll emotie when you really, really need it?

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   It seems that most mainstream doctors love to test, cut and prescribe meds yet they never really spend any time discussing healthy lifestyles.  They might hand out a diet sheet but that's the extent of it.

Honored Contributor

@sensibleshoppingsoothes wrote:

Of course there are medical errors, but calling them the third largest cause of death is an urban myth, subscribed to only by conspiracy theorists.  Look it up, please.

@sensibleshoppingsoothes   I did look it up....

"According to a recent study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 people in the United States die every year because of medical mistakes, making it the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer."

Respected Contributor

Actually, it is not an urban myth. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Actually, it is not an urban myth. 

Interestingly, an article I just read about the 12 leading causes of death in the U.S. does NOT include medical errors.