Respected Contributor

Re: Minoxidil/Rogaine for Women

It had no effect on my nails. I always had bad nails. Then I hit seventy and they became healthy.

I was warned about facial hair. But that was a problem before I used it. 

I just rubbed the liquid into my scalp. It didn't get gummy. But I had long hair and wore it up so there wasn't much maintenance.

I did see a derm who specialized in hair and nails.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could try one of the Hair Lasers sold on the Q instead like I Grow or Hairmax. Read the reviews.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

You could try one of the Hair Lasers sold on the Q instead like I Grow or Hair Max. Read the reviews.

@Shelbelle ...Interesting...thanks! I'lll check it out!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I wonder if Biotin would help.  I take it for my nails and it makes a huge difference there.   It's supposed to also be good for hair and skin, I believe.

But I have massively thick and long head-hair, so I don't need help there.  Maybe the Biotin helps, but I cannot tell since I've not yet had hair thinning.  I'm only 61 so I haven't gotten to wrinkles or thinning hair yet.  The things that happen, eh?  Smiley Happy

I wish I could find something to fill my eyebrows in again, though!  I've tried pretty much all of the things that are supposed to work for that and none of them made one iota of a difference.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt ... I have the lost eyebrow tails problem, too!  Frustrating! I'll check into the Biotin. Thanks for the suggestion. I notice that my supplement doesn't give me much Biotin. Must be nice to have massively thick and long hair!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

10,000 mcg Biotin is about the max you can take daily.

Respected Contributor

My derm advised 5000 biotin and 5% Rogaine foam.  It worked well after about 4 months and has been working for 4 years.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

10,000 mcg Biotin is about the max you can take daily.

Thanks, @Shelbelle!

Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

My derm advised 5000 biotin and 5% Rogaine foam.  It worked well after about 4 months and has been working for 4 years.

@Maize andBlue ...Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try. Right now I'm only getting 50% of my RDA of Biotin a day, so that may be contributing to the problem.

Frequent Contributor

I tried Rogaine MANY years ago and decided I couldn't keep up with the cost indefinitely. Then when I discovered generic minoxidil about 10 years ago I thought that was worth the price and used it, along with biotin--raising the dosage until I got up to 10,000 mcg/day.  I never saw any results and my hair just kept getting thinner and thinner.

About 2 years ago I gave in and tried HairMax; it took about 4 months to see a difference but at 62 my hair looks thicker than it has since my 30s.  I don't use the HairMax very often any more but have kept up the minoxidil and biotin and plan to use those the rest of my life.  I will go back to using HairMax if I start losing hair again.