Respected Contributor

I went on a cruise a few years ago and sat at dinner every night across from the same woman.  She said she was a minimalist.  However she wore different tons of jewelry every night.  How does this make sense?  

Honored Contributor

I moved a lot in my adult life and each time I moved, I eliminated things.  I would donate or toss out if in bad condition.  Yes, it is cleansing.  However, Minimalist lifestyle is the layout of your home inside.  Very clean and very few pieces -- only what you need.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I am moving an can't believe how much "stuff" is not necessary.  I have donated, given away and sold many things.  I am going into a one bedroom, one bath condo.  Thst's all I need in my life right now.  You can't take it with you.  When I see a hoarding show I cringe...what is someone thinking.  I feel relief when they get it cleaned up..so nice.

But to each their own.

Valued Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I went on a cruise a few years ago and sat at dinner every night across from the same woman.  She said she was a minimalist.  However she wore different tons of jewelry every night.  How does this make sense?  

@FranandZoe   She can be a minimalist and still have many pieces of jewelry - she most likely keeps only the pieces she loves and wears. 

Honored Contributor

I think it also depends on where you are in life.  It's easier to be minimalist when you're young and again when you're old(er😉).  I find myself getting rid of more and more things now in anticipation of a future downsizing move.

But it's tougher to have very little when you have kids.  They just need "stuff".  And try to tell the grandparents not to buy it for them.  

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips   Sign of the times....young 'uns are craving a more liberated lifetyle from "stuff".  He will be tested when you hand over his stuff!

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Our oldest son is a minimalist. He does not want anything extra in his home that he does not need. He is going to get a rude awakening soon when I start giving him some of his stuff that I know/hope we won’t part with.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe It doesn't....her words betray her ideals.

@FranandZoe wrote:

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   Yes, I agree.  When I was in college I was a minimalist by default.  Checkout that same person when they have been living in a house for 20-30 years....might be a different story.

@geezerette wrote:

I think it also depends on where you are in life.  It's easier to be minimalist when you're young and again when you're old(er😉).  I find myself getting rid of more and more things now in anticipation of a future downsizing move.

But it's tougher to have very little when you have kids.  They just need "stuff".  And try to tell the grandparents not to buy it for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

The concept appeals to me.  My end tables and coffee table have been cleared due to our new kitten.  She likes to jump from chairs to the tables in the LR.  Rather than risk harm to her and breakage of my things, I removed anything unnecessary.  I like it.  It makes it so much easier to do the dreaded dusting.

Honored Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

I've been excited lately about living more of a minimalist lifestyle. There's a buzz about it and it really got me thinking. Why do I need all of these "things"?  The consent bombardment of feeling the need to purchase the newest gadget and possibly getting into debt buying things I don't really need.  Recently I started getting rid of clutter and extra "stuff". It's so cleansing.  Even decorating for the Fall season I put out only a few of my favorite things and it looks so much better.  

I have always been a minimalist, never knew there was a name for it until I was watching one of those hgtv show lol.  I grew up with everyone having a cofftee table, end tables, lamps on end tables, heavy duty bedroom furniture.  One day I decided I didn't want any of that got rid of coffee table, endtables, and lamps.  Replaced lamps with one floor lamp.  I love just seeing a couple pieces, couch and a chase lounge.  No clutter.  I remember my ex husband came to my house and I just loved the way it looked.  He walked in and said I needed more stuff.  We both started laughing.  My friends laugh too.  I have a couple of friends who are minimalist they understand.  I could totally live in one of those tiny houses.  I hate stuff on my kitchen counters too lol