Honored Contributor

Re: Millennials Don"t Like These Brands, So They Are Disappearing!

Many of those brands shown in that list have not had their companies aim their ads towards millennials. So it stands to reason why they might not continue to sell. Failure to change marketing strategies often leads to decreased sales and sometimes those companies completely disappear. I never did pay much attention to brand names in stores. I just buy what I like and need.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Serious question here...

Do TODAY's kids still even know who "Snoopy" was?

I heard the host mention offhand this AM about Snoopy being from the sixties...

I have no kids nor do I know parents with small kids.

Is Snoopy still a thing with kids today?

This was a sales pitch today for throws with Snoopy stuff on it.

On the other hand, maybe it IS still popular or why would they still push those items?

For the record, I never liked ANY of the Snoopy franchise.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

This generation also has the highest rate of obesity. I would predict any health related product concerning that issue would financially do well. Diabetes insulin, hemroid treatments, larger wheelchairs, larger mobility devices... You get the drift. This isn't snark as intent can be missed due to body language, voice tone etc over the Internet. I worry this generation will not live as long nor as quality of life as the previous generation. KETO has exploded in sales related products so there is progress of some sorts in dealing with this health issue.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

My kids and I enjoyed Boston Market when they were young (millennials). That restaurant is long gone from my area.

From the list I would miss Macy's! Great sales. I just bought 3 bras for under $60.00 and free shipping, for Labor Day. Also great special occasion dresses. When I was MOG I hated every dress I looked at until I found the perfect dress...at Macy's dot com.

Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Serious question here...

Do TODAY's kids still even know who "Snoopy" was?

I heard the host mention offhand this AM about Snoopy being from the sixties...

I have no kids nor do I know parents with small kids.

Is Snoopy still a thing with kids today?

This was a sales pitch today for throws with Snoopy stuff on it.

On the other hand, maybe it IS still popular or why would they still push those items?

For the record, I never liked ANY of the Snoopy franchise.

Thanks!

I love Snoopy and the Peanuts gang but I also question if they are selling to the Boomers. Today's kids are all about Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol,  Trolls Fornite, Mine Craft and YouTube channels. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen : My niece is 16 and has always LOVED Snoopy- just like her aunt.

Respected Contributor

Diet Pepsi, Kellogg's cereal, Taco Bell, Starbucks, H&M---no way do I see these brands disappearing. My millennial friends use all of them, frequently.

Esteemed Contributor

All this talk about Snoopy triggered a memory - last year, Apple TV acquired the exclusive rights to air all of the iconic Charlie Brown holiday specials (Christmas special was apparently also shown on PBS). They will no longer be on ABC.

So, I guess I can look at this two ways. (1) Less people will have ready access to these programs (unless they continue to also air once on PBS) and (2) this is indicative of the rise of streaming and fall of network TV. I guess this is old news - cable or satellite is so out of fashion that it didn’t even make the OPs list.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

Millennials, those in their 20's and 30's, some reached 40, are in possession of the largest buying power now, so loved Boomer brands are disappearing.  

They don't represent all Millennials, just the highest percentage, so for those who say I know Millennials who shop at these stores and for these brands, again it's not all Millennials.  

I doubt these iconic brands will disappear soon or all of them will disappear at all.  

I would miss Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Brooks Brothers, Wheaties, the unique sound of a Harley Davidson, and the Budweiser Clydesdales.   

What brands would you miss if they disappeared?

Diet Pepsi

Harley Davidson

Twitter

Bloomingdale's

Chicos

Pier 1 Imports

Pizza Hut

Burger King

Marie Callender's

Taco Bell

Starbucks

Subway

Walgreens

CVS

Wheaties

Kellogg's cereals

H&M

Hallmark

Gap

Christopher Banks

Macy's

Nordstrom

JC Penney

Brooks Brothers

Apple iPod

Campbell's Soup

Budweiser

Tiffany

Boston Market

Bose

Ann Taylor

Walgreens

Chico's

Office Depot

This appeared on the Moneywise website.  

@Foxxee 

Some brands/companies already closed and it wasnt because of lack of appealing to millenials.......Pier 1 wasnt making it and covid convinced them to close their doors....but they have re-emerged as an online retailer ...

Marie Callender's and Boston Market closed their doors here in our Texas city several years ago.....

I never liked Chicos, The Gap, never shopped at Anne Taylor, Brooks Brothers, 

Taco Bell and Burger King's food is awful!!! 

CVS has lousy customer service, their Pharmacy makes a lot of mistakes and their stores are dirty,  thats why I switched to Walgreens.....

I DONT like any brand of beer or diet soft drink....nor motorcycles nor Apple products....

I Do like Macy's, JCP, Starbucks, Hallmark and Walgreens.....and Kelloggs cereals....

It looks like companies are making the same mistakes as broadcast companies and advertisers by appealing to the millenials. According to several business journals millenials are drowning in student loan debt, not into buying a house or a new car, nor is there an interest in home decor, nor are they into expensive clothes, shoes, or handbags....

Their big area of interest is electronics of all kinds, very basic furniture, and they shop for clothes at TJ Maxx and Marshalls....

Who the advertisers should target are those with disposable income---middle age career professionals, empty nesters, and well off retirees (they think all this demographic buys is just pharmacueticals---SARCASM!)....This demographic does tend to stick with reliable tried and true brands! ...Targeting the wrong demographic who have little cash to spend (millenials) is the wrong strategy...And these companies and broadcasters wonder why their audience and profits are shrinking......SMH!!

Someone posted on the Forums that they used to work for the Advertising Dept for HGTV and who they targeted were BOTH the "boomers" with ads for new cars, home remodeling, cruises....and then target the "millenials" with Door Dash, food delivery services where they do the prep and the customer does the cooking, snack foods, and cosmetics....  Perhaps this is the right approach...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

So now I wonder what brands DO "millenials like"? 

@deepwaterdotter 

What I've read is TJ Maxx/Marshalls,  Samsung electronics, Playstation and video games.....and Ikea for furniture....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”