Respected Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids, school and cell phones.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@pitdakota

But you run into the same thing ... not everyone wants to  bother with a tablet and would rather have a laptop or some sort of real (full funtioning) computer.    

Then look into the option of checking one out or renting one for a short period of time. Or see if a family member or friend has one that will loan it out to him for the day.

But in the end, technology will be required in school work along the way.  It always has been.  I remember when I was taking algebra in high school (many, many years ago) and the course required a very expensive fancy, dandy type of calculator for the class.  It was a required class.  Thank goodness I had parents that took all of this in stride to make sure I had the things I needed or looked for options to meet requirements.

As an educator, I require an assignment that requires students to video record something.  I don't care how it is recorded....cell phone, tablet, or old fashion camcorder.  But the bottom line is it has to be recorded. 

In this instance, it isn't about the only option being an expensive smart phone....there are other options.  Either seek them out or not.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I'm appalled. I can see equipping a child with a "finder" type device, but I cannot imagine ANY worthwhile reason for a kid younger than HS age to NEED a phone.

I retired sooner than I wanted to from the teaching profession, but I realize now that I could never have stayed in the profession as it has become. 

@SahmIam Please keep us posted. Threatening a child with a grade and/or denying him or her the right to participate in a school mandated activity is offensive to many of my core beliefs about education.

@violann My sister-in-law retired as soon as she could for that reason, not because of the kids, because of the other stuff.

Regular Contributor

I am a retired teacher and have to say that I am appauled by this situation. The teacher is certainly not flexible in helping but the insistance that a 4th grader have a smart phone is just ludicris. I have 4 grandchilden and the one in highschool has a phone. The others in elementary school do not. And they live in Boston and New Orleans so that different areas of the country are coverted. They are not poor or disadvantaged but their parents see no need for a cell phone at that age.

I would definitely take this to both the superintendent and sdchool board. And if worse came to worse, I would then tell the teacher that they are strong enough to take the F. They would not get punished at home for that but rather applauded for their courage.

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

While I agee there should br an alternative availble for those who do not have the resourfes, in this case, it is the parent unwilling to provide the resource because it is more important for her to be right than for the child to do the assignment.

I am sorry, but times chane, and like it or not, phones have become a necessity in school -- just as computers have become (and smart pones are essentially mini-computers).  I know many balk at the idea with the thought that, "back in my day, we did not need them," but back then, they did not exist.

The way I see it, the OP can be right at the expense of the child or just give in.  One does not need to spend $600 for a phone. One can get an inexpensive one (even a Tracfone) or perhaps the husban (who rarely uses his phone) could trade his in for a better on and allow the hcild to use it just for this assignment.

Sorry but it is ridiculous to expect the parent of a 4th grader to have a smartphone for them. I also don't think this is an issue of not changing with the times because you don't want your elementary school age child to have a smartphone.

A lot of my friends kids go to private school so money isn't an issue at all for them and I know only a few that young that has a smart phone. They all have basic phones but only a few of the parents are shelling out cash like that at least until they get into middle school. They want their children to be older and little more responsible before having something like that.

If I were the OP I would take this to the school board. There are some things I think it is best just to deal with but this definitely isn't one of them. I think it is utterly outrageous to expect that parents of elementary school children all have smart phones. 

@Irshgrl31201, I guess I just don't understand why everyone is focusing on a cell phone.  This is an app for heaven's sake.  That app can be downloaded to a tablet.

The OP can purchase a Kindle Fire from Amazon for around $70.  This isn't only limited to purchasing a very expensive smart phone.  And then that Kindle Fire can be used by children to download all types of free programs for reading, math, etc. 

There are always other options.  In fact, there may be programs out there that rent tablets for a small fee.  I think there are many other options. 

I just don't understand why everyone thinks it only requires a cell phone.  Most apps that are downloaded to cell phones are available to be downloaded to a tablet of some type.  And there are all kinds of tablets out there for very reasonable prices.

Options are always a good thing to consider. 

I thought it was because the phone or tablet had to go with the child during the field trip. Maybe that is not the case.

My point was not every family has those other devices or a smart phone either and I think it is wrong to expect a family get them for just this trip if they don't have them and if they don't they get an F.

I wasn't aware you could rent these, I know little about stuff like that. I do have a smartphone but rarely use many of the features it offers, because I am just not into it. I just got a new phone and my son in law who is a tech guru is coming over tonight as a matter of fact to show me how to do stuff with it. He has a way of explaining these tech things that even I can understand.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Should not have to buy or rent the device.  If it is so necessary for this school's curriculum than the school needs to provide all the children a cell phone for the trip.  Then gather up and take back to their own supply closet for the next class. 

Telling any family to go buy something or get an F is not right.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It may be a tech world but that doesn't mean that the OP has to change her views about phones and kids, either. 

Those parents not wanting to advance really can't complain when 8 yrs from now, classmates are receiving scholarships to colleges & advancing quickly....when their 'left behind' kid is living the basement trying to write a resume w/ twigs & leaves.  

@sidsmomLOL That's a bit of a stretch.  The issue is a cell phone required for a passing grade.   The OP said high school for a phone, not no phone ever.

I'm sure her child isn't the only one in the world without a phone.  Her choice.

In today's world I would think for sure jr. high school.  High school means the kid will really be out of the loop socially.  And that is important to kids--especially when they get jr. high age.  Don't let the poor kid be without one.  Focus on monitoring and mentoring the child. . . unbending "just because"  rules alone don't make for good kids.  

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Ask them where it states on their school supply list the children should have a cell phone?  This is crazy.   What do the lower income families do?  I know teachers who still have to make sure they themselves pay/buy for extra crayons because some families cannot afford to buy all items on the list.

If no help at the school go to the Superintendent's office.  

I'm starting to feel like our kids get of easy only providing supplies for the teachers*! Phones, now that's really expensive! lol 

(*referring to my school supply list rant!)

Well, I will throw in that I am AMAZED at the things that are listed on school supply lists these days--so many markers and crayons and paints and such.  My mom was an artist and didn't have this much in the studio she had.  I mean really, do they NEED all this stuff?  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

my kids all had them in middle school. i monitored them closely and checked the current usage to make sure they were not using too much data. i also had good parental controls on the phones as needed. i dont regret it for a second.

i saw too many kids that DIDNT have them that were using other kids phones....and that definitely scared me. it is tough for a parent to monitor their children in THAT way......when they are using other kids phones.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam Please keep us informed concerning your school board. I agree about your child having a cell phone at his age but I also like the suggestion that@pitdakota gave you.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Maybe I missed this along the way, but does the mother or father have a cell phone?  Couldn't the child learn to use it and take it for the day?  Maybe some other relative would loan one?