Honored Contributor

Mild rant regarding young kids, school and cell phones.

[ Edited ]

My house rule: no cell phone till high school. My boys don't need one. Trust me, they don't. I don't care if your kids have them, mine don't.

What ticks me off is the assumption that ALL kids have them. Yes, there are 5 year old children carrying $800 phones; I know. Whatever works for their family. But don't assume ALL kids have them.

My elementary school does assume this. To the point that a field trip next week informs parents that all 4th graders are to download a specific App for the trip as part of their grade will be taking pictures and using the device to sent them to a nature place that is used all over the world. Great but.... what if your child doesn't have a phone?

They receive a F for the assignment.

I contacted the Science teacher and she was taken aback that my son doesn't have a phone. She suggested I buy him one. I asked her if she was going to pay for it....she didn't like that question. I contacted the Principal and asked what about kids who come from families that are financially struggling (the ones the fund raisers are for, the one who qualify for free meals, etc) and she said... not kidding here......"They have phones. I don't know how, but they have them". In his particular pod (there are 5 pods per grade), he IS the only one without a phone as per his Homeroom teacher (I spoke to her today).

My son has the option of the F or staying at home all day with an unexcused absence. No, he can't have our phones (Husband has an old flip phone, that's how rarely it's used).

I'll figure this out, in the end but.... I'm just....Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids and sell phones.

I don't have kids but I sympathize with you.  I don't have a "smart" phone, just a basic cell.  When I see commercials for phones that are "just $160/month" I wonder about those including me to whom $160/month is a significant amount of money.  Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you but I understand your position.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids and sell phones.

I agree with your decision @SahmIam about not letting a 4th grader have a cell phone and it does makes you wonder -hmmm what did the teacher do before the invention of the app she wants the kids to use?

Respected Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids, school and cell phones.

I feel for you and your child. I think it's wrong and I'd have more than a "mild" rant about it!
Honored Contributor

I'm appalled. I can see equipping a child with a "finder" type device, but I cannot imagine ANY worthwhile reason for a kid younger than HS age to NEED a phone.

I retired sooner than I wanted to from the teaching profession, but I realize now that I could never have stayed in the profession as it has become. 

@SahmIam Please keep us posted. Threatening a child with a grade and/or denying him or her the right to participate in a school mandated activity is offensive to many of my core beliefs about education.

Esteemed Contributor

You are so right, grade school children do not need cell phones.  The teacher is wrong on many levels.  I cannot believe you are the only parent who feels this way. I would go to the principal on this one.  I commend you for your choices.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

You are so right, grade school children do not need cell phones.  The teacher is wrong on many levels.  I cannot believe you are the only parent who feels this way. I would go to the principal on this one.  I commend you for your choices.

She did go to the principal.

Honored Contributor

Ask them where it states on their school supply list the children should have a cell phone?  This is crazy.   What do the lower income families do?  I know teachers who still have to make sure they themselves pay/buy for extra crayons because some families cannot afford to buy all items on the list.

If no help at the school go to the Superintendent's office.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I know this is totally off topic but I cannot imagine most grade school age kids actually being responsible enough to not lose and/or break those phones. 

My friend just bought her 12 yo a smart phone and I'm betting that within a month, it's either lost or the screen is shattered.

I think it's appalling that the school expects these kids to have a phone to be able to participate in this field trip AND that their grade depends on it.   

Honored Contributor

I'd go to the the news with this story