Honored Contributor

Re: Middle School Requires Kids to Dance with Anyone Who Asks

@occasionalrain wrote:

I attended dance class outside of school, both ballet and ballroom. We danced with whomever we were told. The touching was a hand in a hand and another on a back or shoulder at a foot apart. Nothing more intimate, not more touching than what happens in sports. Elementary children hold hands with their partner, they tag one another... This was a school activity.

The girl in question could have opted out of the dance but if she wished to participate and dance with the boy on whom she had a crush then she should have followed the rule without complaint.

Dancing is an olympic sport after all and in sports one often gets touched.

@occasionalrain , things have changed drastically since you went to school. No more ballroom dancing and the kids dance closer together. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

My sons for the most part avoided these dances, I can understand why now, lol.

Honored Contributor

Not only did Alicia Hobson post it on facebook, she went to the local news. Now it's on WaPo and the Today show.

In a town of 2400 and one middle school.  I think 125 students attend.

Do you know how horrible it has to be for that boy?

She went about this all wrong, but expects everything to be right for her daughter?.

I feel so bad for that boy.  And his parents.

I will bite my tongue to NOT say what I think of this mother.

Honored Contributor

Having worked many jr high dances, I know we never had slow dancing music...and if kids decided to slow dance anyway, they were required to have daylight between them that the principal could see...and did she ever take the fun out of it! Box step, swing, and line dancing? Stick with those and leave the slow dancing to the prom in a few years. Making any girl feel she has to slow dance with anyone is wrong.
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Not only did Alicia Hobson post it on facebook, she went to the local news. Now it's on WaPo and the Today show.

In a town of 2400 and one middle school.  I think 125 students attend.

Do you know how horrible it has to be for that boy?

She went about this all wrong, but expects everything to be right for her daughter?.

I feel so bad for that boy.  And his parents.

I will bite my tongue to NOT say what I think of this mother.

That has been my opinion all along.  What kind of bullying is this boy going through because of this "news".  His self esteem must be low by now.  He was just doing what he was instructed to do..........  ask a girl to dance.  And because he did, he's being drug through the mud.

Respected Contributor

Let's stick to the issue, rather than obscure it by talking about the mother's actions.

@occasionalrain

Ridiculous comparison. This wasn't a lab CLASS, or a drama CLASS, ...or a dance CLASS. It was a St. Valentine's Day dance, held during the day.

The principal, who's also the gym teacher, is a piece of work, stating that "inclusivity" is the goal and that, if students have a problem dancing with another student, they should notify HIM beforehand, so that he could "intervene." Wonderful. I'd like to be a fly on the teachers' lounge wall when it's time for "The Three Ts ( talk, titillation, and tee-hee).

The same thing happened two years ago in Utah, and the entire school district was ordered to drop that ridiculous policy. No child of either sex (NOUNS have gender; people have sex), should be forced to dance with anyone at what is a social function, regardless of when it's held.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

Years ago I heard a chant. "Yes means yes and no means no. No matter who you are and where you go." It was chanted over and over at a Women's Take Back the Night rally.

If the school board won't address the issue, then go up to the State Education Committee.  No one would tell me I had to let someone put their hands on my daughter.  It is a public school, and it cannot dictate or intimidate students to allow unwanted physical contact.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I have a BIG problem with this mother going on social media (public) with saying this boy has said 'he wants to rape dolphins'.  Then goes on to say 'it doesn't matter if it's true or not.  It doesn't matter if rumors are terrible and should be dismissed.  That's irrelevant'.

What???

She is talking about someone else's child, publicly, as an adult.  And doesn't know if what she's saying about him is true or not???

The state, the school and I'm sure now the 12 year old boy are known.  That's horrible.

I have just as much problem with this mother.

Exactly.  That's what prompted my question earlier about whether this boy is being bullied - and not just by kids.

Honored Contributor

Just cancel the darn dances.  Problem solved.

Mom wins, children lose.

Lions 1, Christians 0.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Dancing is not dating - nor is it sex - at least it shouldn't be.  If the "slow dancing" is more than social dancing,then THAT is the problem here.

I don't see any problem with dancing with whoever asks - boy or girl.  Making this into a - she should have the "right" to reject "unwanted touching" is ridiculous.

And, as noted, the mother is beyond the pale in her public criticism of this boy.