Trusted Contributor

Microneedling at New Mexico spa linked to HIV cases

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vampire-facials-at-new-mexico-spa-linked-to-two-hiv-cases-2019-04-30/

"Vampire facials" at New Mexico spa linked to two HIV cases

Santa Fe, N.M. — New Mexico health officials say two people who received facial injections from the same spa are infected with HIV. The non-surgical procedure involves injecting the client's own blood into their face using micro needles.

The New Mexico Department of Health said in a news release Monday that two clients of VIP Spa in Albuquerque who received "vampire facials" last year were recently diagnosed with the same HIV strain. Officials said the two people patronized the spa between May and September of 2018.
"Additional laboratory testing on specimens from the two clients indicates recent infection with the same HIV virus — increasing the likelihood that the two HIV infections may have resulted from a procedure at the VIP spa," the agency said in a statement.

VIP Spa shuttered last September after state agencies found issues with how needles were handled and disposed. An official told KRQE-TV that the owner of VIP Spa lacked the proper licensing. The station found that the building that once housed the business now appears completely empty.
The New Mexico Department of Health began offering free HIV and hepatitis B and C testing shortly after VIP Spa's shuttering, as well as counseling. More than 100 people have already been tested, according to the agency.
Vampire facials gained popularity after Kim Kardashian West posted an Instagram photo of herself after undergoing the facial in 2013 at a different spa facility. She has since come out against the procedure.
"It was really rough and painful for me. It was honestly the most painful thing ever! It's the one treatment that I'll never do again," Kardashian West wrote on her website in 2014, according to Allure.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Microneedling at New Mexico spa linked to HIV cases

Please, please, please be careful when getting invasive treatments such as microneedling. People are always looking for a deal since these treatments are so expensive. Anyone know why the cost is at least $300 dollars in most parts of the country--it's only a 30 minute treatment?

Respected Contributor

@JBKO   OMG......what is wrong with people?  I just don't understand some of the things people do in the pursuit of "beauty."

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

So that's what happened to her face.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a horrible procedure.  Why anyone would voluntarily undergo it is a mystery to me.  It results in the face being a bloody mess, looking like raw hamburger meat.  It defies common sense.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I actually believe that microneedling is very beneficial for acne scarring--I have a pen myself. Of course I don't have a centrifuge where I can spin my blood to get the platelet rich plasma so I cannot get the full benefit of a professional treatment but I have seen improvement. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That type of procedure is done at my derm's office. They call it PRP (platelet-rich plasma) microneedling. The cost here is $600 per session. They use an automatic stamping pen device that has adjustable needle lengths. Everything is sterilized before use. The whole thing is overseen by a board certified dermatologist(s) and the actual procedure is done by a licensed medical aesthetician.

This type of microneedling is not your typical kind of needling. It is aggressive and the recovery time is lengthy but the results are supposed to be superior to those from traditional needling.

Honored Contributor

Looks so gruesome

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yikes! To each his or her own but there is no way in “hail” I would ever get this done. Edited to remove the insults.🤐to the people that choose to get this treatment. Please be careful!

Esteemed Contributor

How can one comprehend how someone would have their blood drawn and then their face pricked all over?  The mind refuses to accept it.