Esteemed Contributor

Re: Microneedling at New Mexico spa linked to HIV cases

IMO only the very vain would have anything to do with this. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

oh for pete's sake.  what next.  get a facial or dermabrasion.  geesh!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Why would anyone want to undergo any invasive procedure with the word “vampire” in its name? I have a friend who caught a very bad staph infection from a nail salon a few months ago...landed in the hospital....from the foot tub ...it started on her feet and spread up the backs of both legs....very scary...and this was at a very expensive and well-known business. I haven’t gone in for a professional pedicure since! There is no way to know what sterilization procedures any of these places actually use....microneedling sounds horrendous and dangerous as well.

I remember hearing about Kim K having this vampire facial done. I think people are so obsessed with celebrity this day in age they are completely lacking common sense.

Very scary about your friend and the staff infection, I hope she is doing better now, @lovesrecess. I wear sandals and as I have gotten older, when I paint my nails, it looks about like 5 year old did it. Your post makes me think I just need to go with a color that is about like my skintone so my mess won't be too obvious and paint my own toenails.

Valued Contributor

I saw this on the news last night. The spa, from the outside, looked like an absolute dump. The old saying, "if it seems to be good to be true, it probably is." I'm sorry for those infected and hope this serves as a cautionary tale for others, but probably not.

I won't even go to nail salons. I do my own mani and pedis. I have 2 girlfriends, both going to 2 different "high end" salons that ended up with wicked infections due to unsanitary practices with pedis. One of them is still being treated almost a year later.

Last summer a friend of mine asked me to do her pedi. I told her, "sure, this is what I need you to bring." She said, "why can't I use your stuff?" Me, "because I don't have an autoclave and for sanitation reasons we shouldn't use the same tools." She got so angry and thought I was "unreasonable" and hung up on me. No pedi (or soup) for her and we haven't spoken since. Oh well, shame on her and her stupidity. LuLu
Honored Contributor

I am betting most of them who went to that spa were tourists visiting Santa Fe
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 

In all fairness to Kim K she said she regretted having it done and has no plans to have any more treatments.

She is not responsible for others undergoing this treatment.

People need to do their own research and be responsible.  The HIV  issue aside, there are other side effects with this procedure. 

If people want to think that Kim is all that, it's on them, not Kim.

They obviously didn't follow-up with what Kim said about the procedure.  She may have said she thought there might be benefits but if a person is dumb enough to take her word for it instead of researching QUALIFIED professional opinions, then you get what you get when you toss caution to the wind.  Again, HIV aside in these two cases, because other things could have happened.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

So they take your blood and smear it on your face? I saw a photo on Facebook and I nearly tossed my cookies. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dirty clinics are not just reserved for the less-expensive clinics.

The Berry Clinic, owned by famous low-carb author, Ken Berry,

had a clinic who performed dirty ‘vampire facials’.

Luckily no one contracted anything, as of this writing,

but his Medical License has been revoked...and coincidentally

his clinic has recently had a major fire..raising many eyebrows,

but yet people still hand over money to him.

He’s very wealthy telling lies...and obviously working in one, as well.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

So they take your blood and smear it on your face? I saw a photo on Facebook and I nearly tossed my cookies. 

Blood is taken from your arm, just like when you go and get labs done for a regular blood test. The blood is centrifuged to separate the red blood cells from the plasma (clearer) part of your blood and that plasma is what they apply to your skin during and/or after microneedling is done. The red faces you see on the internet are the result of the needling and it's not blood, but is trauma to the skin from all of the puncturing...like a burn or rash. @GenXmuse