Esteemed Contributor

Re: Micro Chiping dogs...is it safe?

On 1/9/2015 RedConvertibleGirl said:

We have SO many dogs here in Western Washington (Seattle area) that are being stolen out of their yards! They are being sold at pet stores and on Craig's List - usually for drug money or for dog fighting. Your fence, while locked, will only protect your dog so much. People steal pets out of cars here. It really has gotten bad. So, yes, please get your dog chipped. My mother refuses and she lets her dog run lose all over town. Very sore subject with me.

It takes just a second for something to go wrong and your dog is missing.

Hello RedConvertibleGirl.............,

*I really appreciate your answer*, I REALLY DO!

I have no clue or any expertise of pet 'being hurt' -MICRO CHIPPED, But "IF" some vet had told us about our Cream (11 year old cat went missing)- THAT QUICKLY, then we would 99.9% have him back QUICKLY, ' when I could not find him from over 1 single hour'; I had gone to a rehabilitation center. He was 11 years old and had just stepped onto the deck. The story was from December of 2013.
He had the best insurance, the best care, { after } being a resue for over 5years on the streets, but no one even came close to what great information you have stated!

Yes, it TAKES just a second for something to go wrong and your (cat) is MISSING!

And we live in one of the best area for saftey. Never would I ever had imagine of this happening-EVER. I never heard about `that` before..... but now it's too late!

Thank you for putting THIS in words that can educate all of us.

It is a different world, now.........

_Naes

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 NickNack said:

It's perfectly safe, but I wouldn't have it done unless you were putting him to sleep for something else (like having his teeth cleaned). I would think it would really hurt the dog to do it while he was awake. My vet won't do it while they're awake. She doesn't put them to sleep just to do the microchip, though, but will do the microchip when she's doing something else. It doesn't cost anything to keep it current. Once you register the microchip, all you have to do is notify them if you move or change your phone number.

Apparently your vet never heard of local anesthesia. That's what one of my dogs had. The rest (3) didn't have anything and it didn't seem to bother them. It's a lot kinder than letting them get lost without ID. There are a million ways a dog can be separated from its owner. What if someone leaned over your fence and stole your dog, then claimed it was his? I lost a GSD pup that way.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I can't believe, with all the millions of dogs with chips, somebody would say they're not safe. NONSENSE!!!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have 2 dogs that are both microchipped. My breeder had it done before I received them. I feel more secure in case they get lost or out of the house without me knowing.

It has also enabled me to get a lifetime dog license. I don't ever has to worry about renewing.

My dogs also have Pet Health Insurance and it is wonderful. It saved me thousands.