Honored Contributor

Re: Mick Jagger Postpones Tour To Have Stent Put In

I've been praying for a friend who is facing heart valve replacement surgery this month--  not a procedure a patient looks forward to, but one that can be so crucial to health and survival.

Wishing the best for Mick Jagger as he undergoes this procedure.

Honored Contributor

Mick Jagger - and his band-mates - still put on quite a show.  I had to watch one of my favorites "Gimme Shelter" last night after reading here about him.  But, at 75, how much longer can he tour?  I can't imagine him still giving performances in his 80's.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@aubnwa01- I agree. They said he covers about 3 miles while on stage and that he runs every day to keep in shape and follows a healthy diet.

Better than many much younger people.  How many people do we see overweight and sedentary, heading for diabetes or worse?  And if, as one or two have said, he eventually "drops dead" during a concert - well, at least he'll die doing what he loves.

@Venezia   You forgot one other way in which he's gotten a physical workout all his adult life and still does.  Remember, he has a two-year-old!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sashamatthews wrote:

I wish him the best.  They don't do what many acts consider a full tour these days - they play larger venues and the take, for them, is reportedly $10 million per night.    I think it would be interesting if they played an unplugged tour - less taxing on them physically.  However, this should be a cautionary tale to any fan:  see these bands while they are still here.  So many of our favorites are aging or have passed unexpectedly.  Love them in person.

@sashamatthews   I wholeheartedly agree.  That is why, at my urging, my younger sister who grew up with the Beatles as I did, went to see McCartney a couple of years ago in Tampa.  I told her 'you never know how mnay more chances you'll ever have to see him--- so go."  She did and thought the concert was fantastic, and so did her 20-something daughter who was not particularly a fan. She loved the concer too.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I'm staggered by those who think age should determine how you live your life.

The days of sending people to "old folk's homes" to sit in their rocking chairs and see out their days until they die of sheer boredom are gone.  You know the phrase "use it or lose it"?  Well, that's what happens to people who think you should "accept the inevitable" and "age gracefully".  Piffle!!!  

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas knew what he was talking about!

@Venezia    Don't forget too that those days saw seniors taking cruises and playing shuffleboard!  LOL!

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@sashamatthews wrote:

I wish him the best.  They don't do what many acts consider a full tour these days - they play larger venues and the take, for them, is reportedly $10 million per night.    I think it would be interesting if they played an unplugged tour - less taxing on them physically.  However, this should be a cautionary tale to any fan:  see these bands while they are still here.  So many of our favorites are aging or have passed unexpectedly.  Love them in person.

@sashamatthews   I wholeheartedly agree.  That is why, at my urging, my younger sister who great up with the Beatles as I did, went to see McCartney a couple of years ago in Tampa.  I told her 'you never know how mnay more chances you'll ever have to see him--- so go."  She did and thought the concert was fantastic, and so did her 20-something daughter who was not particularly a fan. She loved the concer too.

I agree with you both!  I saw Paul McCartney at Citifield (Queens, NYC) a few years ago and he put on one of the best concerts I ever saw!!  I actually HAVE tickets to the Stones concert tour for this June 2019 at Metlife Stadium NJ but got the e-mail from ticketmaster stating the show has been postponed with no further information given.  Wishing him a full recovery - definitely a rock & roll icon of my time.

Respected Contributor

@nova @Hang on to your tickets they will be used when tour rescheduled.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@aubnwa01- I agree. They said he covers about 3 miles while on stage and that he runs every day to keep in shape and follows a healthy diet.

Better than many much younger people.  How many people do we see overweight and sedentary, heading for diabetes or worse?  And if, as one or two have said, he eventually "drops dead" during a concert - well, at least he'll die doing what he loves.

@Venezia   You forgot one other way in which he's gotten a physical workout all his adult life and still does.  Remember, he has a two-year-old!

@Pearlee- Probably the reason he's able to have a two-year-old is because he takes care of himself!  Woman Wink

A friend of mine in England was on vacation a while back in Wales.  She and her family had driven out to a remote area and who did they see?  Mick and his family enjoying themselves in the country.  They didn't want to disturb them, so simply left them on their own, but she said it was nice to see them doing the simple things other families do.  Having a picnic!

Valued Contributor

I love the Rolling Stones from the 60's and 70's but not so much now.  I think Mick Jagger moves like a boss on stage, truly remarkable at his age but his voice is def not what it used to be, his voice is totally showing his age, it's very shaky and old man sounding.  But hey, he's Mick Jagger, party on Mick!     

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The man is elderly...75 years old.  I am surprised he has not dropped dead on stage before now.  He should retire...write a book....back a movie made  on his life....and stop with the tours.  Enough is enough.

@SeaMaiden 

The number 75 is his Chronological Age. That indicates how many years he has been on earth, nothing more. Apply "elderly/old/ decrepit/old geezer" whatever term many like to use. That tells one little about what his body is still able to do when it comes to hard work and/or endurance.

I worked for years with men that, chronologically, in their early 40's. Physiologically they were closer to, my soon to be, 80. Remiss of serious permanent  disabilities, a human body can function in ways in which it is been accustomed,  along with conditioned. 

I've not seen Mick live in concert, but I have seen several videos of him live on stage. A person cannot perform at that level for 2+ hours unless it is in super physical condition. I have seen Paul McCartney  live in concert and he put on a show close to 3 hours, and did not leave the stage 1 time. Not sure of his age, but it probably falls into your category of "elderly should retire".

Check the stats some time on the average number of years a Male lives "after retiring", might surprise you. I retired at 52 but continued my way of life just as when I was working. Fortunately after close to 14 years of dealing with deadly health issues, I was able to regain, and return to my activities of 40 years ago. Maybe not as fast or skilled, but just as well as before.

When you think AGE, there are 4 types. 1 being Chronological,  and another being Physiological,  BIG DIFFERENCE!

hckynut

hckynut(john)