Honored Contributor

Re: Mick Jagger Postpones Tour To Have Stent Put In

@dulwich wrote:

@Trinity11   I agree with your comments.  When you see the Stones live and see the way Mick works the ramps and stages he is doing what he loves - does not have to prove anything I believe he loves his offstage life and loves his tours and I, just one among hundreds, love to see him and the band.

I always come away from any good live show - and I go a lot - feeling happy not thinking how old the performers are but how great they are.  

So you see it works both ways this senior gets a big lift from watching other seniors who can still perform 100 percent.  Big plus I stand and dance all night - cannot sit when Mick on - so getting good exercise too!

@dulwich...I know what you mean about not being able to sit when Mike is on!! I am getting back into shape after two heart attacks and I am amazed just how much is dependent upon pushing myself to exceed my expectations. I am about to turn 66 very soon but in my head I will always be 29! Never going to give up!!

Valued Contributor

I certainly wish Mick the best, but let's get serious - I loved The Stones back in the day, but maybe, just maybe, it's time to give it up.  At this point these tours, IMHO, have more to do about ego than bucks. We all get old, no matter how "old" are significant others are.

I'm a big believer in embracing our age, lives well lived, and our accomplishments over those years rather than trying to run from the inevitable.  Let's live (and end) our lives with dignity and grace.  LuLu

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  When did you last see the Stones live?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Having a valve replaced and having a stent put in are two different things....the aren’t should not require a long recovery period.....but the nonstop physical activity of a tour is grueling....I can’t imagine anyone his age being ready to do a tour after either procedure,
Valued Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  When did you last see the Stones live?

@dulwich, 30-35 years ago.  Why, and you?

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I'm building my Viking funeral pyre as we speak.

@RoughDraft- Best laugh of the day!!!  Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Last year in London and 2 years before on their last U.S. tour here in CA.  I think if you saw them now you would not be disappointed even though they are seniors.

Respected Contributor

I hope all goes well w/his procedure.  I would xpect him to have the very best doctors and recover as quickly as possible.  I for one would LOVE to see the band perform even if they are on in years.  They have many many great songs and the musicianship is top notch.  It's such a miracle that they are able and willing to do this for their fans.  I know every generation always thinks the music they grew up with is the best, I think this way too although I can appreciate the Big Band Era, the early beginnings of rock n roll in the 50's, 60's and the heavier sounds of the 70's and 80's.  For me the last great rock album was American Idiot by Green Day.  I think the Rolling Stones could blow any current rock/pop act off the stage even if they are a bit long in the tooth.  JMO

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I'm staggered by those who think age should determine how you live your life.

The days of sending people to "old folk's homes" to sit in their rocking chairs and see out their days until they die of sheer boredom are gone.  You know the phrase "use it or lose it"?  Well, that's what happens to people who think you should "accept the inevitable" and "age gracefully".  Piffle!!!  

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas knew what he was talking about!

Respected Contributor

I think Mick's father was a PE teacher & died at age 93 & I've heard that Mick has led a pretty healthy lifestyle for the past 30 or so years, watching his diet & exercising & also he's a runner.  I think to do what he does on stage for hours, he has to be in pretty good shape physically.