Trusted Contributor

Michies Tavern in VA

[ Edited ]

Anyone ever eat here? It very near Monticello. I think it's the best meal I ever had in a restaurant. No alcohol. Only open for midday meal. Fried chicken is the only meat, oodles of sides that change day to day.  All you can eat.

Honored Contributor

There seem to be wonderful little places like that, some in very old inns, tucked away all through beautiful Virginia and Maryland.   Great fun to tool around in a car on obscure roads finding them...

Honored Contributor

We just went by there last week. Love old taverns,etc. There were a bunch of tour buses there so we thought it would be crowded and passed it by. Monticello was great though.

Honored Contributor

We used to eat at a little place like that tucked away in Houston.....on a freeway. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Anyone ever eat here? It very near Monticello. I think it's the best meal I ever had in a restaurant. No alcohol. Only open for midday meal. Fried chicken is the only meat, oodles of sides that change day to day.  All you can eat.

Yes, every time we go to Monticello.  Pricey though.  

Esteemed Contributor

It was late in the day when we left Monticello.  The tavern was closed.  Maybe another time.  Glad you shared.

No alcohol?  Yet it is called a Tavern. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@Puzzle Piece. It was a tavern back in Jeffersons time, the waitstaff are in period dress. I 

Honored Contributor

I ate there a "bazillion" years ago.  Best fried chicken I ever had!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Yes, stop there every time on the way home from Williamsburg.  Stop at Monticello and never miss Michies.  Such a good meal.  Love that area!!

Trusted Contributor

I was hungry when I posted, you can't imagine how many times I thought about traveling 5 and half hours for lunch.