Honored Contributor

I did not care for it either.

Honored Contributor
I watched Michael Keaton on the Ellen DeGeneres show last week; he had gum in his mouth then too, which seemed odd. He chews the gum viciously, drawing more attention to himself, and it just does not seem normal to me.
Honored Contributor
On 2/23/2015 Shorty2U said:

I didn't even notice him chewing gum! Was he chewing it nicely or chomping?

I (a former smoker who quit yrs back) also chew gum. So maybe he was a smoker who quit? Or he just likes to chew gum.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal as long as he wasn't chewing like a cow or blowing bubbles (lol).

Nicely chewing.

I'm with you, I really don't understand why so many people get upset over nothing.

For the record, I don't chew gum, neither does DH or my daughter.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I wonder if it was nicotine gum. He chews as fast as Pete Carroll, the Seahawk Coach.

Trusted Contributor
The Oscars is supposed to be a classy occasion. To sit there right in the front row chewing like a demented camel when you knew TV cameras were on you constantly, is just ridiculous. Sorry, but have some class. I hate to say it but it seems to be an American thing. Did you see any of the Brits, French etc chewing. No way, it just isn't done in other countries.
Respected Contributor
I totally agree with the gum, he should have slipped it under his tongue just awkward all around.
Respected Contributor
It wasn't that he was chewing gum -- he was chomping on it with his mouth OPEN! I knew not to do that when I was a little kid. My mother would've held out her hand, I would've spit it out, and that would've been the end of that. Smiley Wink
Respected Contributor
On 2/23/2015 brii said:

I wonder if it was nicotine gum. He chews as fast as Pete Carroll, the Seahawk Coach.

Men tend to chomp.

It wasn't the worst thing on the show.

Super Contributor

I didn't think it might be something like Nicorette. I don't object to that but I wish he wouldn't have chewed with his mouth open; he could have kept his mouth closed and not grossed out people.

Although, really, it's not an earth-shaking issue.

Respected Contributor
I didn't notice it, but I doubt it was nicotine gum. You don't chomp that; you park it in the corner of your mouth.