Honored Contributor

Re: Mice getting in your outdoor grill?

@jubilant wrote:

My husband lit the grill, I was standing there and out comes a mother mouse carrying a baby trying to get it out of the heat.  I just about went hysterical when I saw that.  DH hurried and turned the grill off. 

It's best to check it out frequently.  I never want to see that again.  I lost my appetite and we had the steaks later and I pan fried them on my stove.

Same here last year i got ready to grill ,did not turn it on at first but,opened the top ,saw the nest and mice ,no griliing that day,made me sick.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

That would terrify me. Do you think frequent cleanings might keep them away?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only wish it was mice in my grill! Several years ago, on the rare occasion I got home from work before my husband, I decided to start the gas grill (which scares the bejeebers out of me) and start the lamb chops. The minute I took the cover off, and turned the grill on, a groundhog came out from underneath and started hissing at me. Oh, can it get worse?  Yeah, it can. My two dogs don't appreciate wild creatures and especially those hissing at their mama. So now I have a hissing groundhog, a yappy Fox Terrier, a growling Chow mix mutt and a platter of lamb chops in my hands. Somehow I managed to save the lamb chops, drag two pi$$ed off dogs into the house and watch a fat groundhog run for his life! Today I chuckle about it- at the time of my grilling trauma, not so much - lol!  BTW, my grilling days are over!

Esteemed Contributor

We haven't used our outdoor grill for 5 years. Its in the garage. We use our foreman but i was going to get the grill out this year to use because i miss it.

Anyway about the mice, we have an exterminator for 4 years. (every other month) We had gotten field mice in here 4 years ago (because we live in front of a huge corn field). I hate mice, i have a mice phobia (Im actually nauseous typing this).

So even after the mice were gone we keep the exterminator for maintenance in case. Worst time for them to get in is the fall.

PS we have 2 cats, at the time we had mice we had 3 cats (one passed sway) And no the cats didn't get the mice, thus the exterminator! 

I never want to see a mouse again. Brrr! So I sympathize with you! Good Luck!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I'll never forget the time I went out to uncover our grill after a long winter. I opened the top and POOF the inside exploded with cotton, branches, everything the mice used over the winter to make a nice big, warm, nest! It was hilarious! We power washed everything and were good to go for that summer season of grilling!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Maybe I'm naive, but I've never heard of such a thing! Unappetizing, to say the least.

Valued Contributor

If I found mice or other animals nesting or running in and out of the grill, I wouldn't be using the grill anymore ever.

I wouldn't want to eat food cooked on that grill.  

Contributor

For our first cookout last year, my husband told me when he went to start the grill a mouse ran out. I told him that I could never eat anything from that grill again. We got a new grill.

Trusted Contributor

@janinna wrote:

For our first cookout last year, my husband told me when he went to start the grill a mouse ran out. I told him that I could never eat anything from that grill again. We got a new grill.

I'd be racing you to the store. I am petrofied of mice.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

Oh Lordy---never thought about mice in my grill---I haven't used it for a year now and was thinking I should clean it out---now, I'm not so sure--maybe that job will be the hubs---he has been battling mice in the trunk of his muscle car for the last few years----what a mess!!!