Honored Contributor

Re: Miami resident staying in his 50th floor high rise apt...

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The force of the wind carrying tons of water through the air is enough to knock down buildings of all sizes. I have terrible visions right now of high rises falling down and destroying more stuff as they fall. I hope this does not happen.

@SilleeMee

It won't happen ....   Tall buildings are NOT that flimsy .....  and there are VERY stringent specifics that must be in place.   High rise buildings do not just "fall over" like dried, dead trees.   I don't know why people don't realize this.

@Tinkrbl44 and @SilleeMee  No the high rises won't fall down like in an earthquake. Depending on the winds, there will be various degrees of 'blowouts' of apts/condos/offices with no windows and rooms exposed...and balconies ripped off though...so mainly shells of buildings. Others may fair better...depends also on the glass thickness and how well the building was constructed. If the winds are over 200 mph at heights of the real tall buildings...well, IMO, all bets are off...

@SilleeMee   And don't forget many of these buildings are right on the coast...so with the storm surge...most will have 1st and 2nd floor flooding.

Currently, there are many high rises in FL that have flooding on sunny days due to high tides and global warming...just google for that info.

This is what I picture for those that want to ride it out in a high rise apt/condo/office (at least in the southern part of FL...ie Miami and surrounding towns, Key West...and up to Ft Meyers on the west coast):

Being exposed to the elements, no electricity (walk down how many flights of stairs to find you are in a severe flood zone...1st 2 floors flooded)...then what?

Oh so many other problems...

No thanks. The last place I would want to get stuck!

Honored Contributor

Mistri---no, I said a bad word ---said "dumb a_ _ with 2 s's  but didn't hide it very well. If it got reported or yanked by mods---my bad!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  LoL  I couldn't remember exactly what you said, just the sentiment expressed, and I didn't find it offensive.  I just wanted to let you know it wasn't me!!

Image result for squirrel with hands up

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@wagirl  LoL  I couldn't remember exactly what you said, just the sentiment expressed, and I didn't find it offensive.  I just wanted to let you know it wasn't me!!

Image result for squirrel with hands up

@mistriTsquirrel

IMO,  You have THE BEST squirrel photos .....  I hope some day you post a whole squirrel photo thread in Pet Lovers with all your favorite squirrel shots!

Respected Contributor

Last night they showed a guy with a family (wife 3 kids who I think was in Miami) who wasn't gonna leave and he was adamant.  

I always say that if someone is single and wants to do that, no problem, that's on them but how irresponsible when one is responsible for others,  especially kids.  This morning they announced that he did finally leave.  

The strangest I saw was someone in a sailboat who said he wasn't leaving - YA CAN'T FIX STUPID!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

He said his apartment was on the 21st floor, but still, idiot.  Also, when he said he could always go to the elevator shaft, I thought.....this man needs help in more ways than the storm.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just heard on cable news that the higher up you are in a building, the stronger the winds.

They said a hurrican could be Cat 3 on the ground and Cat 5 at the top of a 50 story building!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

The strangest I saw was someone in a sailboat who said he wasn't leaving  

@Financialgrl  I think I heard somewhere that the captain always goes down with the ship...or maybe it was the cook...not sure.

Image result for far side cook always goes down with the ship

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Heart

@Sooner wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Reminds me why my mother didn't believe in seatbelts. She just knew that she would be able to get out of the car in time.

@suzyQ3

I used to work for a guy who said he didn't wear a seatbelt because in the event of a collision he wanted to be "thrown clear of the wreck".

I don't understand how anyone with half a brain would say something as dumb as that, let alone a full brain. 

Before  you go judging people, that was a common idea back in the days before seatbelts.  Some people probably still believe that but I don't see any reason to say they have "half a brain."  People believe a lot of things their parents said that may or not be true.  Doesn't mean they are stupid.  Just means they rely on information they were taught a long time ago.

There are a lot of good and smart people around who believe some things that others don't believe.

Sooner...You confused me with your statement, what was a common idea back in the day before seatbelts? Throwing oneself clear?  Before seatbelts that is what happened to people, they were thrown from cars in a collision.  How does one survive by being thrown from a car?  I grew up before seat belts, never heard anything about how to throw  oneself clear.  We have all learned things from parents while growing up, does that mean even if it is dangerous we should still do it when we become adults and know better?  I am not being argumentative, I  just don't understand what you were saying.

@Lindsays Grandma  Newspaper reports and tv reports up until seatbealt thinking and days would often say someone was "thrown clear of the car" in an accident.  You didn't throw yourself clear, but they found the car a total wreck, maybe some dead inside, but someone outside who was "thrown clear" of the wreck.  

Since you are probably a lot younger than me if you've never heard this, remember cars had metal dashboards and a lot of pointy things like shifters and wiper stems that stuck way out and could kill you.  You really were in jeopardy in a car because of so much that you could be thrown around and hit. 

It was a different day and time.  So I hope that helps you understand why I think some people may still have that thought rolling around in their heads.

I doubt I am a lot younger than you, believe me, but I won't give away my age.  I have pictures of my sister and I sitting in and standing next to the family car, I sure know what they looked like back in the day.  Regardless, I find it extremely difficult to believe an intelligent person would say they won't wear seatbelts because it would prevent them from being thrown clear in an accident.  I stand by what I previously said. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma  "Intelligent people" fly small planes and crash them because of lack of experience; climb mountains and die; scuba dive and die; jump out of planes; go to unsafe countries; drive faster cars than they can control and do lots of other unsafe things.  You see it on the news every day.  Many of them use up precious public funds and risk other lives to search for them after some of these stupid doings. 

Often we celebrate them for their "courage." 

Valued Contributor

I have a niece in Tampa with 2 young children. Her and her husband decided to stay. I don't understand why anyone would choose to stay, especially when they have children to think about.