Esteemed Contributor

Re: Miami resident staying in his 50th floor high rise apt...

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Some people are just plain stupid in their stubbornness.  Even if he doesn't want to leave his building, he should at least go to the ground floor.  In the darkness of his apartment, he could be hit by blowing broken glass or have broken glass on the floor, and he'll certainly lose power.  If need be, how is he going to maneuver 50 flights of stairs?  When people have been ordered to evacuate, it's unreasonable to think emergency services will run to his aid.  He could be waiting for days.  

Actually, they are telling people to not go to the ground floors, because of the storm surge, they can easily flood.

Honored Contributor

The force of the wind carrying tons of water through the air is enough to knock down buildings of all sizes. I have terrible visions right now of high rises falling down and destroying more stuff as they fall. I hope this does not happen.

Respected Contributor

yeah the wind PLUS the storm surge. Turkey Point is a nuke right on the ocean  just south of Miami right before Key Largo, was damaged by Andrew but Andrew was a CAT 4 yet smaller scale fast mover .  the access road to the plant was closed for days. 

St Lucie is another nuke right on the water by Jensen Beach

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Some people are just plain stupid in their stubbornness.  Even if he doesn't want to leave his building, he should at least go to the ground floor.  In the darkness of his apartment, he could be hit by blowing broken glass or have broken glass on the floor, and he'll certainly lose power.  If need be, how is he going to maneuver 50 flights of stairs?  When people have been ordered to evacuate, it's unreasonable to think emergency services will run to his aid.  He could be waiting for days.  

Actually, they are telling people to not go to the ground floors, because of the storm surge, they can easily flood.

@Plaid Pants2 - well, then, mixed messages are being sent because going to the ground floor was exactly the recommendation I heard on the Weather Channel yesterday, if people weren't going to adhere to the mandatory evacuation. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The force of the wind carrying tons of water through the air is enough to knock down buildings of all sizes. I have terrible visions right now of high rises falling down and destroying more stuff as they fall. I hope this does not happen.

@SilleeMee

It won't happen ....   Tall buildings are NOT that flimsy .....  and there are VERY stringent specifics that must be in place.   High rise buildings do not just "fall over" like dried, dead trees.   I don't know why people don't realize this.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Can you just imagine if this storm isn't devastating to Florida how many people will just shrug their shoulders the next time a hurricane is threatening?

This is not a tropical storm, it is a catagory 4 or 5, very dangerous.

Esteemed Contributor

Heart

@Sooner wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Reminds me why my mother didn't believe in seatbelts. She just knew that she would be able to get out of the car in time.

@suzyQ3

I used to work for a guy who said he didn't wear a seatbelt because in the event of a collision he wanted to be "thrown clear of the wreck".

I don't understand how anyone with half a brain would say something as dumb as that, let alone a full brain. 

Before  you go judging people, that was a common idea back in the days before seatbelts.  Some people probably still believe that but I don't see any reason to say they have "half a brain."  People believe a lot of things their parents said that may or not be true.  Doesn't mean they are stupid.  Just means they rely on information they were taught a long time ago.

There are a lot of good and smart people around who believe some things that others don't believe.

Sooner...You confused me with your statement, what was a common idea back in the day before seatbelts? Throwing oneself clear?  Before seatbelts that is what happened to people, they were thrown from cars in a collision.  How does one survive by being thrown from a car?  I grew up before seat belts, never heard anything about how to throw  oneself clear.  We have all learned things from parents while growing up, does that mean even if it is dangerous we should still do it when we become adults and know better?  I am not being argumentative, I  just don't understand what you were saying.

@Lindsays Grandma  Newspaper reports and tv reports up until seatbealt thinking and days would often say someone was "thrown clear of the car" in an accident.  You didn't throw yourself clear, but they found the car a total wreck, maybe some dead inside, but someone outside who was "thrown clear" of the wreck.  

Since you are probably a lot younger than me if you've never heard this, remember cars had metal dashboards and a lot of pointy things like shifters and wiper stems that stuck way out and could kill you.  You really were in jeopardy in a car because of so much that you could be thrown around and hit. 

It was a different day and time.  So I hope that helps you understand why I think some people may still have that thought rolling around in their heads.

I doubt I am a lot younger than you, believe me, but I won't give away my age.  I have pictures of my sister and I sitting in and standing next to the family car, I sure know what they looked like back in the day.  Regardless, I find it extremely difficult to believe an intelligent person would say they won't wear seatbelts because it would prevent them from being thrown clear in an accident.  I stand by what I previously said. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

He's nuts.  I was stuck for a week on the 10th floor in my NYC highrise during Super Storm Sandy.  It's awful!

Not even taking into consideration all the damage and flooding ...

When the electricity goes out ... the pumps that deliver the water up all those floor don't work.  No water, no shower, no flushing along with no lights and no heat/air conditioning.  No elevator.  

Lke I sad, he's nuts!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

It won't happen ....   Tall buildings are NOT that flimsy .....  and there are VERY stringent specifics that must be in place.   High rise buildings do not just "fall over" like dried, dead trees.   I don't know why people don't realize this.

@Tinkrbl44 and @SilleeMee  No the high rises won't fall down like in an earthquake. Depending on the winds, there will be various degrees of 'blowouts' of apts/condos/offices with no windows and rooms exposed...and balconies ripped off though...so mainly shells of buildings. Others may fair better...depends also on the glass thickness and how well the building was constructed. If the winds are over 200 mph at heights of the real tall buildings...well, IMO, all bets are off...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My saying the high rises may "fall down"...I should clarify that by saying they could get shredded so badly that they could be visualized as being fallen down in the aftermath...sort of like a bomb blast. If that makes any sense.