Esteemed Contributor

Re: Miami resident staying in his 50th floor high rise apt...

[ Edited ]

My first thought when reading this was "what an idiot."

But I thought about it more, and I realized that this guy probably uses denial to cope with stressful situations.  This can happen when a person does not know how to deal with these types of problems in a healthy and adaptive way.  In his mind, he's not putting himself in danger, because a) it's not going to be that bad, b) he's tough enough to make it through and/or c) a higher power will protect him from harm.  So he isn't thinking he will be putting anyone else in danger by doing what he's doing, because he believes that things won't be that bad.

Denial is something that many people employ, to various degrees.  It can be psychologically protective at times when nothing can be done to change the outcome of a situation, and it can be maladaptive in situations where it keeps people from doing something that could help them.  

And denial isn't something that only stupid people employ, even though it sure looks like stupidity at times.  It is actually quite common, and a dash of it could even be considered healthy.  Like many other things in life, it becomes a problem when it's overdone.

Also, I don't know how much the guy knows about the structure he is in, or how much he knows about survival techniques or anything else.  Maybe he knows much more than I do about stuff like that and he will be just fine.  ::shrug::

I'm not saying he's doing the right thing, I'm just offering other views on the subject.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   @Lindsays Grandma 

Back in the "olden days", someone being thrown from that car may ... or may not .... survive.  If someone got thrown and landed safely only about 10 feet away on nice soft grass, I guess it's possible that could be considered a soft landing and survival was possible.

OTOH, if it was a bad crash and someone got thrown 50 feet and landed smack against the cement wall of a building, they were definitely a goner!

Esteemed Contributor

Regarding seatbelts...

There was a time not so long ago that there was little or no scientific evidence to support the notion that you are more likely to survive a crash if you wear a seatbelt.  People had to form their opinions based on anecdotal evidence.

If you heard about a guy who died because he was trapped in his car by a seatbelt after an accident, and the car exploded, your opinion could be that seatbelts are bad.

If you heard about a couple who was in an accident, and the one who was wearing a seatbelt survived while the other died, that would support a belief that seatbelts are good.

Now that we have a lot of evidence that you are more likely to survive a crash when you are held inside a cabin by a seatbelt, most people believe that.  But we didn't always have the body of knowledge that we have now.

And, of course, there will always be people who stick to their old beliefs or have "reasons" why they don't want to wear their seatbelts.  Not much you can do about that, I guess. 

Honored Contributor

I would be afraid of large metal things/equipment would crash into my windows & compromise the structure.  

Someone on TV was describing an incident of a hurricane in Mexico City (yrs ago) where the large construction cranes were spinning around.  Have one of those things cut loose. Wow.

With Irma, in St. Maarten, a flight guy said a large building at the airport was gone & must have cause large, deep divots on the landing strip....but, get this...no one could find that large building. The wind can lift things beyond our imagination, no matter how heavy. 

Another thing I saw, a reporter was harnessed & had protective eyewear...she was in a air tunnel.   At 120mph, she tapped out...she said she couldn't breathe at that point.  It was as if someone was sitting on her chest, restricting her airway. 

Now we had an 8.0 earthquake near Mexico City last night. 

Fire, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, mass destruction.

Wow.....Mother Nature is PPPPPPOOOOOO'd.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner   @Lindsays Grandma 

Back in the "olden days", someone being thrown from that car may ... or may not .... survive.  If someone got thrown and landed safely only about 10 feet away on nice soft grass, I guess it's possible that could be considered a soft landing and survival was possible.

OTOH, if it was a bad crash and someone got thrown 50 feet and landed smack against the cement wall of a building, they were definitely a goner!

@Tinkrbl44@  @Lindsays Grandma  NO argument here for me.  I'm just telling you what was said back in the day when I was growing up.    

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Regarding seatbelts...

There was a time not so long ago that there was little or no scientific evidence to support the notion that you are more likely to survive a crash if you wear a seatbelt.  People had to form their opinions based on anecdotal evidence.

If you heard about a guy who died because he was trapped in his car by a seatbelt after an accident, and the car exploded, your opinion could be that seatbelts are bad.

If you heard about a couple who was in an accident, and the one who was wearing a seatbelt survived while the other died, that would support a belief that seatbelts are good.

Now that we have a lot of evidence that you are more likely to survive a crash when you are held inside a cabin by a seatbelt, most people believe that.  But we didn't always have the body of knowledge that we have now.

And, of course, there will always be people who stick to their old beliefs or have "reasons" why they don't want to wear their seatbelts.  Not much you can do about that, I guess. 

@mistriTsquirrel

ITA ....  between seat belts and air bags these days, you have to be at least a little safer than when there were no seatbelts.

However ..... I'm pretty sure it's a LAW everywhere that you have to wear your seatbelt, so not wearing it at least invites a traffic ticket, if nothing else.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  Since your response was different than mine and came right after mine, it may look like I reported it.  I did not, and I don't understand why it was deleted.  Just wanted to let you know.

Honored Contributor

Some people are just plain stupid in their stubbornness.  Even if he doesn't want to leave his building, he should at least go to the ground floor.  In the darkness of his apartment, he could be hit by blowing broken glass or have broken glass on the floor, and he'll certainly lose power.  If need be, how is he going to maneuver 50 flights of stairs?  When people have been ordered to evacuate, it's unreasonable to think emergency services will run to his aid.  He could be waiting for days.  

Trusted Contributor

Completely assinine.