Honored Contributor

Re: Miami resident staying in his 50th floor high rise apt...

I hope they follow up with him and check the damage.  I'm betting his high rise was built after 1992 when Hurrican Andrew hit and the building codes and requirements were changed to accomodate hurricane winds.  He actually could be in an incredibly safe building!   

When the Northridge quake hit Los Angeles in 1993, I was living on the 20th floor of a highrise building, and I had almost NO breakage ... just one water glass.  Of course, the joints in the structure were flexible and my chandelier ... and the entire building .... swayed for an hour after the earthquake.   Most of the people in my building had minimal damage, but the lower floors had more than the higher floors!      

This guy with a home on the 50th floor must have a VERY sturdy building .... otherwise it would have never passed code and no one would have been able to purchase and move in!

I hope they follow up with him ..........    

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Reminds me why my mother didn't believe in seatbelts. She just knew that she would be able to get out of the car in time.

@suzyQ3

I used to work for a guy who said he didn't wear a seatbelt because in the event of a collision he wanted to be "thrown clear of the wreck".

I don't understand how anyone with half a brain would say something as dumb as that, let alone a full brain. 

Before  you go judging people, that was a common idea back in the days before seatbelts.  Some people probably still believe that but I don't see any reason to say they have "half a brain."  People believe a lot of things their parents said that may or not be true.  Doesn't mean they are stupid.  Just means they rely on information they were taught a long time ago.

There are a lot of good and smart people around who believe some things that others don't believe.

Trusted Contributor

He is as stupid as the young mother with 2 children under 15 months whose lives she is risking by staying in her home.  Then there is the owner of a 150 foot sailboat that is riding out the hurricane in his boat.  It will be a miracle if these people survive.Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Reminds me why my mother didn't believe in seatbelts. She just knew that she would be able to get out of the car in time.

@suzyQ3

I used to work for a guy who said he didn't wear a seatbelt because in the event of a collision he wanted to be "thrown clear of the wreck".

I don't understand how anyone with half a brain would say something as dumb as that, let alone a full brain. 

Before  you go judging people, that was a common idea back in the days before seatbelts.  Some people probably still believe that but I don't see any reason to say they have "half a brain."  People believe a lot of things their parents said that may or not be true.  Doesn't mean they are stupid.  Just means they rely on information they were taught a long time ago.

There are a lot of good and smart people around who believe some things that others don't believe.

Sooner...You confused me with your statement, what was a common idea back in the day before seatbelts? Throwing oneself clear?  Before seatbelts that is what happened to people, they were thrown from cars in a collision.  How does one survive by being thrown from a car?  I grew up before seat belts, never heard anything about how to throw  oneself clear.  We have all learned things from parents while growing up, does that mean even if it is dangerous we should still do it when we become adults and know better?  I am not being argumentative, I  just don't understand what you were saying.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

In the words of that great philosopher Ron White, "You can't fix stupid."

Honored Contributor

Well, fifty stories up he should be safe from the flooding. His windows will likely be blown out and it won't be fun to be there, but as risks go, he could/should emerge okay. It will not be a fun place to be and climbing up/down fifty flights of stairs won't be fun, but he's likely in a fairly safe space overall. I'd recommend hiding in an interior hallway and staying well away from windows, but he'll likely survive just fine. There's no real logical reason to stay there as there will be no power, water, etc. for an extended period of time and the building will be compromised, but he'll likely survive.

I guess it's no more stupid than the people who climb Mount Everest each year. They put their lives at risk, endure nearly unbearable conditions, just to prove they can do it. If you're dumb enough to do it, well, then that's fine. I suspect you could sell tickets to thrill seekers if you had a structure that you knew would survive the hurricane and have a waiting list of people who'd want to prove they could survive a hurricane.

I've never been a thrill seeker, so I don't understand that mentality, but a lot of people do very risky stuff on a routine basis.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

As I stated in my post above, that high rise must have been built to very strict codes, or it would never been allowed to be built.  If his unit is in the center of the floor he's on, that's the safest.  

You're right about possible power outages, but the high rise I lived in had emergency generators.  It was surprisingly stable and secure, and withstood a very bad earthquake rather easily, IMO.

As far as the architects of this building .....  they must have been top notch to develop plans for a high rise in Miami that routinely is hit by bad winds and storms & hurricanes.  These buildings are incredibly safe .... but if a bomb was dropped on Miami, well, no one would survive that! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our local weather has been reporting about this non-stop and interviewing various residents.

A lot of them plan on riding out the storm. 

I have friends who live down there.  Because of her job, the wife cannot leave but her husband is taking their 2 dogs and heading to Georgia. 

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

Sooner...You confused me with your statement, what was a common idea back in the day before seatbelts? Throwing oneself clear?  Before seatbelts that is what happened to people, they were thrown from cars in a collision.  How does one survive by being thrown from a car?  I grew up before seat belts, never heard anything about how to throw  oneself clear.  We have all learned things from parents while growing up, does that mean even if it is dangerous we should still do it when we become adults and know better?  I am not being argumentative, I  just don't understand what you were saying.

@Lindsays Grandma  Newspaper reports and tv reports up until seatbealt thinking and days would often say someone was "thrown clear of the car" in an accident.  You didn't throw yourself clear, but they found the car a total wreck, maybe some dead inside, but someone outside who was "thrown clear" of the wreck.  

Since you are probably a lot younger than me if you've never heard this, remember cars had metal dashboards and a lot of pointy things like shifters and wiper stems that stuck way out and could kill you.  You really were in jeopardy in a car because of so much that you could be thrown around and hit. 

It was a different day and time.  So I hope that helps you understand why I think some people may still have that thought rolling around in their heads.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I just can't imagine going thru these hurricanes, storms, floods -- especially when u have nowhere to go except a shelter. Losing ur home/cars and more is so devastating. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in this situation. As long is u have ur life --- everything else can be accumulated again.

Why I live inland. P on those oceans.