Honored Contributor

Re: Miami Condo to be Demolished

@Kachina624 wrote:

I keep wondering if they've allowed the residents of the standing condos get their belonging from them.  I sure hope so. 

The lawsuits will be flying like crazy, I'm sure. 

@Kachina624 @They have not been allowed inside the building.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I have what is probably a dumb question, but who does a condo owner sue in this case?

@deepwaterdotter @The condo association. The association carries liability insurance as well as coverage for casualty.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:
I will admit up front that I know I am way too attached to my “stuff.” I am wondering if all the rubble on the ground will be sifted through, trying to pull out people’s belongings. There could be people’s wills, bank statements and such that relatives would need. Of course people’s photos, Jewelry and other irreplaceable items. And if my side was still standing and it was going to be destroyed without me getting anything, that would be hard for me. Of course I feel bad for all the lives lost. This was a horrible event and I don’t mean to minimise that with my comments. But I would hope that there is some way to recover some of the items once all the victims are recovered.

@Puppy Lips @They are pulling out family photos and mementos when they are found for the benefit of the victims' families. There was a local news report about this. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

At one of the news conferences with the Mayor, she said the remaining residents, as well as those in the sister building, would be relocated rent free. She said none of them would have to worry about having a place to stay.

My friends and I were talking about this. It was a place where residents and renters were living their lives- children, pets, vacation and regular clothes. All gone.

@beach-mom @Yes, they have been relocated rent free but, and a big but, the owners still have to make their mortgage payments. Local news reported on this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@elated wrote:

I don't know how anyone could remain in the North side of this condo. Every time you walked out, you would see the collapsed building and all the remains that have not been recovered. It would not be a place where I would live. I would have left that morning when the building collasped. Does money mean more than your life?? 

@elated  .... I cannot understand how anyone would be allowed to stay in the North side of the condo ... it could fall at any time ... they have to be crazy to stay!!!

I wonder if the report that people are still in the North side is true??? ... I would think/hope not 😢

@January121 No one  is staying inside any part of the Champlain towers building that collapsed. There are residents inside of the other two Champlain Towers on the block. They can stay or move to a different location.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I have what is probably a dumb question, but who does a condo owner sue in this case?

@deepwaterdotter @The condo association. The association carries liability insurance as well as coverage for casualty.

You can bet those deep pockets insurance companies have their high priced lawyers scrutinizing contracts to find ways to minimize the payout. In this instance, the publicity has been so extensive they'd look like rats to not pay out at all, but you can lay odds they're looking for loopholes in the policies. It's what insurance companies do.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

At one of the news conferences with the Mayor, she said the remaining residents, as well as those in the sister building, would be relocated rent free. She said none of them would have to worry about having a place to stay.

My friends and I were talking about this. It was a place where residents and renters were living their lives- children, pets, vacation and regular clothes. All gone.

@beach-mom @Yes, they have been relocated rent free but, and a big but, the owners still have to make their mortgage payments. Local news reported on this. 

@Mindy D that is so unfair!

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@Mindy D that is so unfair!

@agb80 @It's sad, but true.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder how many of the other buidlings in that area were built buy the same developer?...and are those buildings safe? I would be worried if I lived in one.

I believe there is a *sister* condo building less than a block away.  Same developer and from what I read, built with the same specs.

Can you imagine the horror of living there?  Those condos are worthless now.  No one would be allowed to sell in order to move elsewhere.

I bet you that building will be deemed uninhabitable and rightfully so.  But then all those people will be displaced that don't have another residence.

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder how many of the other buidlings in that area were built buy the same developer?...and are those buildings safe? I would be worried if I lived in one.

I believe there is a *sister* condo building less than a block away.  Same developer and from what I read, built with the same specs.

Can you imagine the horror of living there?  Those condos are worthless now.  No one would be allowed to sell in order to move elsewhere.

I bet you that building will be deemed uninhabitable and rightfully so.  But then all those people will be displaced that don't have another residence.

Well the Federal government promised to pick up the bill for relocating all those displaced - for who knows how long.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Of course she did - because the Feds promised to pick up the bill - which she, of course, immediately accepted.