Honored Contributor

Re: Miami Condo to be Demolished

Washington Post has had in the past few days 2 excellent articles going into detail about the building, it's design & problems & graphics showing which floors fell & possibly why. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/victims-survivors-surfside-condo-collapse/?it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2021/building-experts-miami-condo-collapse...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 ...You are 100% correct in that the lawsuits will be flying like crazy.  This is going to take years to settle.  I pray for all the people whose lives are being uprooted due to this tragedy. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

In the late seventies I visited a close friend who lived at Miami.  He did some construction jobs and told me how very expensive homes were not being built without a lot of flaws.  We were  young at the time and I said he should report what he saw.  The developers are at fault, the town/city is at fault and the inspectors are at fault.  This is an old corrupt problem. I worked at a high school built on swamp land and when it rained it flooded and there was mold and vermin.  The mayor at the time it was built spent jail time for other charges but when you have corruption, this is what results.

I often ask about the qualifications of those on planning boards and never get answers.  I know real estate people and those in the building business make up a majority on these boards and it is all about money and greed.  It is despicable and very tragically horrors as this condo atrocity result.  There are decent honest builders but in too many cases slipshod building, poor inspections and greed take over. Rules and regulations, laws and strict codes need to be in place.  It is an industry which gets away with much too much and it has to stop.

Respected Contributor

I read that only 25% of persons in the part still standing had left. How would you sleep? Also I read that quite a few condo board members had quit in 2019 because of disputes regarding needed repairs. I wonder how many people buying these condos in recent years were told about the building faults. Would you even think to have a building inspection beyond the unit you were buying?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO most likely the HOA management company, possibly the Board of Directors - as in FL a HOA is mandated to have (if not the State takes over at huge cost), and possibly code enforcement.  

Although, the residents have to agree to assessment fees for repairs (I heard one owner state the assessment was $100,000/homeowner😯) brought by the BOD & management company.  The community has to vote to agree/disagree.  (I know this as we have "maintenance" necessary in our community & each homeowner would be assessed.) 

If the BOD is involved I sure hope they have (volunteers) signed a agreement that absolves them from any liability.  I know as a BOD member we must sign a agreement so we can not be sued personally & have no financial interest.  

Of course, they may be in condo HOA which has completely different guidelines than villas.

I haven't been following all the details it's just so sad.  I'm praying for all involved🙏🏻.

@deepwaterdotter 

Esteemed Contributor

I will admit up front that I know I am way too attached to my “stuff.” I am wondering if all the rubble on the ground will be sifted through, trying to pull out people’s belongings. There could be people’s wills, bank statements and such that relatives would need. Of course people’s photos, Jewelry and other irreplaceable items. And if my side was still standing and it was going to be destroyed without me getting anything, that would be hard for me. Of course I feel bad for all the lives lost. This was a horrible event and I don’t mean to minimise that with my comments. But I would hope that there is some way to recover some of the items once all the victims are recovered.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

At one of the news conferences with the Mayor, she said the remaining residents, as well as those in the sister building, would be relocated rent free. She said none of them would have to worry about having a place to stay.

My friends and I were talking about this. It was a place where residents and renters were living their lives- children, pets, vacation and regular clothes. All gone.

Respected Contributor

Sue anyone you want but the only one who is going to be making any money is  the lawyers.

This will go on for years and years.  The big guy said it was "climate change" so there goes the law suits...can't control mother nature.

This is so sad and the story of the woman crying for help and the searchers couldn't get to her....I just can't imagine.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know how anyone could remain in the North side of this condo. Every time you walked out, you would see the collapsed building and all the remains that have not been recovered. It would not be a place where I would live. I would have left that morning when the building collasped. Does money mean more than your life?? 

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

I don't know how anyone could remain in the North side of this condo. Every time you walked out, you would see the collapsed building and all the remains that have not been recovered. It would not be a place where I would live. I would have left that morning when the building collasped. Does money mean more than your life?? 

@elated  .... I cannot understand how anyone would be allowed to stay in the North side of the condo ... it could fall at any time ... they have to be crazy to stay!!!

I wonder if the report that people are still in the North side is true??? ... I would think/hope not 😢