Esteemed Contributor

Re: Miami Condo to be Demolished

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I have what is probably a dumb question, but who does a condo owner sue in this case?

@deepwaterdotter - initially the Board and Management company.  It wouldn't involve the developer as the building is 40 years old and if proper mantainence & repairs were not done, they would not be at fault.  However if they find that building so close to the water and safety requirements and codes were not met, it could involve them

Any inspections and engineer reports will be scrutinized as well as materials used in any construction projects, code violations etc.   lawsuits will be far reaching  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Obviously I'm not there but I was under the impression that the type of repairs were not normal and one could see that by the dollar amount quoted to the residents and they were right to refuse to pay it.  Normal wear of a building even without repairs does not take down a building.  The building could not be repaired it was beyond that due to the mistakes by the developer and it doesn't matter that it was 40 years ago,  They are ultimately responsible for selling a faulty building, one that would not last, one that would end up killing the residents.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter    The HOA for one for deferring maintenance; the city and county depending on inspections and records

Honored Contributor

There appears to have been conflicting inspection reports by the city. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I keep wondering if they've allowed the residents of the standing condos get their belonging from them.  I sure hope so. 

The lawsuits will be flying like crazy, I'm sure. 

@Kachina624 I cannot imagine that they would.  They had to rescue a lot of them that were stuck because the elevator wasn't working.  And who would want to use the elevator in that situation anyways?  I guess the stairs were either gone or were also impassable.  

Honored Contributor

And to think several days ago the residents were told to evacuate was voluntary.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder how many of the other buildings in that area were built by the same developer?...and are those buildings safe? I would be worried if I lived in one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think going after the developers of a 40 year-old building that had not been properly maintained or repaired will be hard. Lots of potential targets for lawsuits. My heart still just aches for everyone dealing with this tragedy.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder how many of the other buidlings in that area were built buy the same developer?...and are those buildings safe? I would be worried if I lived in one.

I believe there is a *sister* condo building less than a block away.  Same developer and from what I read, built with the same specs.

Can you imagine the horror of living there?  Those condos are worthless now.  No one would be allowed to sell in order to move elsewhere.

I bet you that building will be deemed uninhabitable and rightfully so.  But then all those people will be displaced that don't have another residence.

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think going after the developers who built it 40 years ago and the lack of repairs/ maintenance done even after it was documented that it was needed will be hard to hold the developer responsible. This is such a unique situation though there is no telling who will finely be held responsible….they will need to blame someone no matter what.

The city who approved it are in big trouble too.  Every city has a planning dept and a building dept and there obviously were terrible mistakes made when they approved the construction of that building.  This is going to be a terrible thing that will affect the mayor's job as well as the governor's job too.  Everyone will be pointing fingers to those running the city and state. Heads will roll and if they don't there will be accusations of corruption and that won't be good for the State. Too many deaths, too much PTSD for the families and the survivors and the first responders.  It won't end well going forward but haunt the State for years.