Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

YorkieonmyPillow's post: Actually to win a libel or defamation case one has to prove malicious intent....I just read info about James Woods...he may as well drop his suit even though the statement made about him was made as fact, IDK how he would be able to prove malicious intent. He should probably just move on.

The elements of the crime of defamation varies from state to state, so I don't think making a blanket statement about it is accurate.  Not to mention that, by court decision, there are two standards used for defamation, with a different one (harder to prove) for famous people than for others.

Is there a state that doesn't require malicious intent? If so, which state(s)?

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I have not looked at the defamation laws of all fifty states, nor do I have any desire to.

If you want to, knock yourself out - state statutes are on the internet.

Respected Contributor

She's a nut!

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

She's a nut!

To whom are you referring?  Mia F. or a poster?

Honored Contributor

Mia is a talented actress, especially in Hannah and Her Sisters, but she shouldn't have broadcast the dentist's workplace address.  Doe she really want this guy lynched?   She's only 70, and shouldn't be losing her mind yet.  On the other hand, this man's customers (patients?) should drop him like a hot potato.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I have not looked at the defamation laws of all fifty states, nor do I have any desire to.

If you want to, knock yourself out - state statutes are on the internet.

You are the one who posted:  "The elements of the crime of defamation varies from state to state, so I don't think making a blanket statement about it is accurate.  Not to mention that, by court decision, there are two standards used for defamation, with a different one (harder to prove) for famous people than for others."

If you haven't looked at the defamation laws of all states then you apparently can't support what you just posted, and I have no desire to "knock myself out" to prove what I consider an irrelevant and useless post made by someone other than myself.

Respected Contributor

I didn't read all of the posts but wasn't it a RT?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

If you haven't looked at the defamation laws of all states then you apparently can't support what you just posted, and

Really?  One need only look at two states with varying laws to know that.

I do not care to keep responding to you .... it's just an exercise in frustration.  Have a good evening.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

If you haven't looked at the defamation laws of all states then you apparently can't support what you just posted, and

Really?  One need only look at two states with varying laws to know that.

I do not care to keep responding to you .... it's just an exercise in frustration.  Have a good evening.

That's true but you couldn't even give me two states. And you're not responding to me; I'm responding to your irrelevant post.

You have a good evening, as well.

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Mia is a talented actress, especially in Hannah and Her Sisters, but she shouldn't have broadcast the dentist's workplace address.  Doe she really want this guy lynched?   She's only 70, and shouldn't be losing her mind yet.  On the other hand, this man's customers (patients?) should drop him like a hot potato.

I don't know what Mia wants, but I do.  I really want this guy lynched...or shot...with a bow and arrow...and then 40 hours later with a rifle.  But I'd settle for a hanging.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~