Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@garmer wrote:

8.4 magnitude, within the last hour. Tsunami possible. Don't know much else yet.

@garmer

Was the earthquake centered near a major city .... or what?  

At least 15 people are dead after one of the most powerful earthquakes in Mexico’s history struck late Thursday on its southern coast, toppling buildings, damaging hospitals and sending skyscrapers swaying hundreds of miles away.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake hit about 60 miles off the coast of Chiapas state with a magnitude of 8.1 — slightly stronger than the devastating magnitude 8 quake of 1985 that killed thousands of people in Mexico City.

While Mexican seismologists initially claimed Thursday’s earthquake was a magnitude 8.4, the National Seismology Institute said Friday that it had revised its measurement and now believes it was an 8.2.

via the LA TIMES

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Everything starting to sound very Biblical. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mexico had earthquake

[ Edited ]

I just communicated with my friend in the Sand Diego area, and she said she didn't feel any tremors or anything. It was fairly far south in Mexico.  And yes, everything that is going on everywhere seems very apocalyptic, and I myself am not prone to cite religous teachings.

Honored Contributor

Tremors were felt as far away as Mexico City-600 miles away.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@garmer wrote:

8.4 magnitude, within the last hour. Tsunami possible. Don't know much else yet.

@garmer

Was the earthquake centered near a major city .... or what?  

I posted a map up above showing where it was.

Honored Contributor

IMG_2854.jpg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

IMG_2854.jpg

@sidsmom  Unfortunately the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas are some of the poorest too.

There have been other quakes in the area in the past few hours; not sure if aftershocks but registering 4.0 +/- .

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mexico had earthquake

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

Tremors were felt as far away as Mexico City-600 miles away.

----------------------

While I lived in Mexico City, we went thru several earthquakes!  Some very strong and others just slight tremors!  Pretty startling feeling!  

There is a renown monument - called El Angel, the Angel - on the main avenue going through the City. It is one of the most famous landmarks in Mexico City. The column base plus statue is about 148 feet high. So many memories of seeing that beautiful monument!

Yesterday, I watched a news video that showed that statue swaying from side to side during this week's earthquake. The center of the quake was 650 miles away from the city!!    Just held my breath!!!

El Angel at sunset on Reforma Avenue...