Honored Contributor

Metformin might reduce the risk of dementia and slow cognitive decline

[ Edited ]

A study titled the Sydney Memory and Ageing Study found that persons with Type 2 diabetes that used metformin had a slowing of cognitive decline and a lower risk of dementia than those Type 2 diabetics not using metformin. The study was conducted over a six year period. Researchers at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and the Centre for Healthy Brain Aging conducted the study which is published in the Journal of Diabetes Care. This provides hope for Type 2 diabetics who have a 60% risk of developing dementia according to the lead researcher of the study, endocrinologist Dr. and Professor Katherine Samaras. Dr. Samaras heads the research team and practices at St. Vincent's Hospital in Sydney.

The complete study used 1037 participants aged 70 to 90 years old, but in this arm of the larger study 123 participants with Type 2 diabetes were used. Of those, 67 received metformin to lower blood sugar levels. The remainder did not receive the drug. All the participants were tested for cognitive function every two years with measurements of capabilities including memory, attention and speed, executive function and language.

The findings showed that persons with type 2 diabetes taking metformin had significantly slower cognitive decline and lower dementia risk compared to those not taking metformin. Even more remarkable, in those with type 2 diabetes taking metformin, there was no difference in the rate of decline in cognitive function over 6 years compared to those without diabetes. Since this was an observational study, further research studies are expected.

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2020/09/14/dc20-0892

Honored Contributor

Re: Metformin might reduce the risk of dementia and slow cognitive decline

Anytime you get rid of sugar or, in this case, use medication to lower it, you are lowering your risk of brain issues.  

Respected Contributor

It's not clear from this or anything I can find on it whether the diabetics who weren't taking metformin were otherwise treated for their diabetes. If they were untreated, the findings aren't surprising to me. If they were treated, it would be helpful to know what treatment they received, for how long, etc.

Study group is pretty small for extrapolation, IMO. As a T2 taking metformin I'd like it to be protective, but more study is needed. I'd also like to see diet/exercise studied.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann I follow a couple of well respected scientists in the Alzheimer's field and most of them recommend an anti-inflammatory diet for brain health. I have been on one for two years since I am highly susceptible to brain issues based on my genetics.

Just had another physical done and my lab results came back great.  I was perfect on the diet for four weeks leading up to it and had some of my best numbers yet.  

Super Contributor

Study is too small to draw any conclusions.

Esteemed Contributor

This isn't new news, @Mindy D .  I read about it at least 5 years ago.  I take a Neurology magazine and I believe that is where I read it.  I would also think that lowering your sugar levels would help prevent cancer........inflammation?

Lets face it, sugar is NOT good for you. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

If this is true, then why hasn't Alzheimer's been cured already?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I took that for years, i had so much stomach problems ,no one even suggested that might be the cause,until 5 yrs later, and sure enough, it was.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

It's not clear from this or anything I can find on it whether the diabetics who weren't taking metformin were otherwise treated for their diabetes. If they were untreated, the findings aren't surprising to me. If they were treated, it would be helpful to know what treatment they received, for how long, etc.

Study group is pretty small for extrapolation, IMO. As a T2 taking metformin I'd like it to be protective, but more study is needed. I'd also like to see diet/exercise studied.

@noodleann @ The link is to the abstract. I was wondering the same thing and was going to add this information but my eyes were watering when I was writing. The full study is behind a paywall.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

This isn't new news, @Mindy D .  I read about it at least 5 years ago.  I take a Neurology magazine and I believe that is where I read it.  I would also think that lowering your sugar levels would help prevent cancer........inflammation?

Lets face it, sugar is NOT good for you. 

@tends2dogs @Other related studies have been published but this study was just published.