Honored Contributor

Re: •••Mental Illness is No Laughing Matter😔 •••

Oh, I've seen mean people in action, which I think is one of the reasons I'm almost a magnet for challenged people. Seriously, I've been on the street and seen an upset person ranting at other people and he or she won't run up on me. I refuse to ignore someone like they are not there. I speak, say hello, how are you. It costs nothing to be civil.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I have had 2 relatives suffer from mental illness, the outcome was fatal. I have a brother who has had mental illness since he was diagnosed at 15.  He has paranoid schizophrenia, and he is also bipolar.  He has been in homes and hospitals ,since he was 28.  He just was hospitalized, and is now in sub acute care waiting for a boarding home that will take him, as he lost his last one.  There are hardly any homes anymore.  It is not profitable to take care of the mentally ill (except medication from the pharmaceutical world)

I am his delegate, although he has 2 case workers.  Not a day goes by I do not have to deal with his medical, mental, housing issues.  The last hospital he was in lost his 3500 hearing aid, and his new clothes I bought him.  He is deaf in one ear and has diminished hearing in the other.  BTW, medical does not buy you hearing aids.  That is something you take out of 1200 monthly check after you have paid 1100 rent.

I have told you this as a person who is close to mental illness. My point?  Although treating mental illness is a nightmare in this country.  Those that do treat them, have a special heart! I have never in my life heard anyone make fun of the mentally ill.  Yes we all make comments, like "I am loosing my mind", I will go nuts, he is nuts, etc.  But it is usually said not referring to the mentally ill.  I have taken my brother places where just a waitress in a cafe asking him, "what will you have" will set him off on a 5 minute  explanation, usually involving a conspiracy and the FBI.  The waitress, will be patient, smile and be kind.  I have been around mentally ill, the homeless and such and people never make fun.  Now, maybe a kid will, who has problems themselves, or hasn't been tutored in this illness.. My brother himself has jested about "the looney bin".  But he doesn't think he is ill either.

I don't think most people laugh at mental illness.  Sometimes when confronted with it, people have said how grateful they are to be healthy.  There is an occasional idiot, but I think the public on a whole does not consider this a funny issue at all.  They may not entirely understand the whole of mental illness, but most people understand that it is not the persons fault, and to tread respectfully.  JMHO.

I will say, there needs to be more funding and facilities for the ill.  More treatment and education.

Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

newziesuzie wrote:

I saw this shared on Facebook by a friend who is a
counselor and was talking about how sad it is to see
people laughing at people who suffer with all the
struggles of mental health issues in the gamut from schizophrenia
to depression, etc. We wouldn't mock people or use negative or mocking euphemisms with other medical
illness, right?
It's really no laughing matter imho.

Mental Illness is No Laughing Matter

As one that had myself admitted into a Mental Ward at our hospital, it is no laughing matter. I spent 7+ days there with people with many different types of mental problems. Several of them had the scars of trying to commit suicide. Anyone that thinks that is funny?

I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder. Since those years back I have never seen myself as "cured". To me it is similar to being an alcoholic, and that means I think of myself as "always being in recovery".

Of the many brushes I've had with death I would take that any time over the mental issues I had for those few years. It is one thing to know what your problem is and working to recover from it.

It is quite another to know something is wrong, but no idea what is causing it, much less how and "IF" you will ever return to normal.

Wouldn't wish this on people I despise. Funny?

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I have had 2 relatives suffer from mental illness, the outcome was fatal. I have a brother who has had mental illness since he was diagnosed at 15.  He has paranoid schizophrenia, and he is also bipolar.  He has been in homes and hospitals ,since he was 28.  He just was hospitalized, and is now in sub acute care waiting for a boarding home that will take him, as he lost his last one.  There are hardly any homes anymore.  It is not profitable to take care of the mentally ill (except medication from the pharmaceutical world)

I am his delegate, although he has 2 case workers.  Not a day goes by I do not have to deal with his medical, mental, housing issues.  The last hospital he was in lost his 3500 hearing aid, and his new clothes I bought him.  He is deaf in one ear and has diminished hearing in the other.  BTW, medical does not buy you hearing aids.  That is something you take out of 1200 monthly check after you have paid 1100 rent.

I have told you this as a person who is close to mental illness. My point?  Although treating mental illness is a nightmare in this country.  Those that do treat them, have a special heart! I have never in my life heard anyone make fun of the mentally ill.  Yes we all make comments, like "I am loosing my mind", I will go nuts, he is nuts, etc.  But it is usually said not referring to the mentally ill.  I have taken my brother places where just a waitress in a cafe asking him, "what will you have" will set him off on a 5 minute  explanation, usually involving a conspiracy and the FBI.  The waitress, will be patient, smile and be kind.  I have been around mentally ill, the homeless and such and people never make fun.  Now, maybe a kid will, who has problems themselves, or hasn't been tutored in this illness.. My brother himself has jested about "the looney bin".  But he doesn't think he is ill either.

I don't think most people laugh at mental illness.  Sometimes when confronted with it, people have said how grateful they are to be healthy.  There is an occasional idiot, but I think the public on a whole does not consider this a funny issue at all.  They may not entirely understand the whole of mental illness, but most people understand that it is not the persons fault, and to tread respectfully.  JMHO.

I will say, there needs to be more funding and facilities for the ill.  More treatment and education.

shoekitty, thank you for sharing.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Contributor

Mental illness debates are always complicated by the fact that it is so widely mistreated and misdiagnosed. There are no objective diagnostic tests for most mental illnesses and so it's a widely-cast net that catches all sorts of people in it's snare. I completely agree that all people be treated with dignity and respect, but having seen what the mental health industry is routinely inflicting on the "mentally ill" I hope we can all agree that compassionate care has to be much more than pumping people full of psychotropic drugs of dubious efficacy.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

This is weird.  I can't remember a time when I witnessed "public laughing" at the expense of the mentally ill.  Well, maybe from a 15 year old. 

Can someone give some examples?

There's been plenty on the Q boards; some laughing, but all demeaning.

And tons of other places in cyberspace, where people feel brave because they're anonymous.

Those are just two of many...

Mental illness will always have a terrible stigma, yet there but for the grace of God and the universe go we ALL.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add to my brothers story that he is now 62.  Being treated for mental illness in the 60's and 70's was a brutal medication regime.As it was even worse before that.  They don't even use some of the drugs they used to use.  So as they age they they can develop Parkinson's, heart problems and early onset dementia among other things.  The dementia is hard to diagnose because of the illness. With the 90's came other medications and more knowledge of how they work and how to mix them. Bu we are still leap years away.  When you have certain mental illnesses, often your medical needs go untended because the patient cannot express their symptoms and answer the doctors questions properly.  I am my brothers advocate, but when I go into the mental illness homes, hospitals I realize that most do not have anyone.

One good thing is often people with severe mental illness can have extraordinary talents that makes them gifted.  My brother's obsessions also had him playing the piano at concerts, he would play and practice 15 hours a day.  Then it was art, he was so talented he had his painting hung in a gallery and sold.  But sadly, the illness takes over and they can stop as quickly as they start.  At least when they are obsessed with their gift they are occupied and busy.  When they stop the tedious days begin, and in between fighting demons they become idle and boredom sets in. Most smoke and smoke as well.  The nicotine interferes with the meds, and another cycle begins.

If anyone has the gift to be around the mentally ill, it would be so nice to volunteer in a hospital or home.  If you can offer any companionship, take them for a walk, buy them a candy bar, chat, share an art talent,  it would be appreciated.  But it takes a certain mind set, believe me.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:
My mother raised me from little girl on to be compassionate. I never raised an eyebrow or looked sideways at anyone with a peg leg ( old man on my grandma's block), anyone on crutches, limping, those who stuttered, children with palsy or frankly, anyone challenged by life's struggles. That included people with mental illness. I cannot understand how an able bodied and able minded person would think it's okay to ridicule another person afflicted with mental illness.

It sounds like you were raised by a wonderful mother @Bird mama.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@brii wrote:

Great topic, newziesuzie.

I agree! 

Thanks!  

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••